Tube clogged over night

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

IES

Tube clogged over night

Post by IES »

Went to sleep last night and all was looking good. Bubbling had been going on for a day.

Woke up this morning and noticed nothing in the tube.

Popped the rubber cork off the 5 gallon carboy after noticing brown stuff building up on glass.

The cork had been completely covered in resinous brown stuff and clogged the tube from allowing bubbles to pass through.

It's unclogged now, but bubbling is alot slower then it was before.

Is this going to ruin the beer? Or change the flavor?

Will it begin bubbling like it was again?
Thank you
DreamWeaver
Light Lager
Light Lager

Sound OK to me!

Post by DreamWeaver »

Chances are that the beer is fine... And no flavor probs. I sometimes try to put too much in the primary or used a huge starter and have to use a blow-off tube. Positive pressure prolly saved ya.

Have a blow off tube ready or just go ahead and put one on for a day or so until the primary fermentation calms down.

I have come home to a few plastic primarys that resembled a basketball before. Someone once said, "You know you are a Homebrewer if you have ever mopped your ceiling!" :lol:
Four More Beers!... Four More Beers!... Four More Beers! ...
caosesvida
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by caosesvida »

I had one that blew the plastic air lock apart ! I went away for a few days and came back to a real mess, but the beer survived. I guess it keeps fermentingand producing gas and now has alcohol in it to help preseve it.