yeast for bottling?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Radiator

yeast for bottling?

Post by Radiator »

I am curious if I can/should add more yeast at bottling. The beer will have been in the secondary for 6 weeks and seems to have zero activity and I will be priming one half with honey and the other half with maple syrup. How much yeast should I add per bottle or per 2.5 gallons? Or should I not be bothered about the inactive secondary and just add the priming ingredients? Thanks, you all have been an enormous help so far.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

What is the recipe

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Radiator,

What are you brewing, I don't like to experiment with "odd" priming ingredients, too much chance for error, have you ever used Maple syrup or honey for priming? I prefer the consistancy of corn sugar. If you use corn sugar a rate of 1/3 cups + 2 tablespoons should be perfect for 2.5 gallons. I think you should have plenty of active yeast left in the beer. I'll let others comment on their experiences ...

Paul.
Last edited by Azorean Brewer on Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I drink therefore I am"
richanne
Light Lager
Light Lager

We agree

Post by richanne »

We agree with Paul. Don't add more yeast. And we're also curious about your choice of priming ingredients. Have you used them before with success?
Richard and Anne Brady
Brady's Homebrew
http://www.bradyshomebrew.com
Radiator

Yeast

Post by Radiator »

Yes, I've primed with Maple syrup before (a porter) and it was wonderful. I am only carbonating to 1.5 volumes so if it is too much I assume/hope that it will be low enough to give me some leeway. I realize that sugar is a better/safer option but the beer is very basic and boring itself so I wanted to try something to give it some lift. Thank you for the tips, if it still seems I'm heading the wrong direction feel free to tell me. Thanks.