Is anyone successfully lagering in a keg

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Is anyone successfully lagering in a keg

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hi gang,

I am running out of 5 gallon carboys to lager in and have 4 empty corny kegs, is it OK to lager in a keg ? I don't see why not, just want your opinion (which I know y'all are dying to give me LOL ...)

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Lagering in a Keg

Post by BillyBock »

Paul: I lager in kegs all the time. I put a little CO2 in the bottom of the keg and then I drain from the conical into the kegs. Afterwards, I purge the headspace of air, then pressurize the keg to seat the lid. Then it sits for its intended lagering period. You could also force carbonate while it's lagering, which I normally do....but I've been experimenting with filtering lately and it's just easier to filter flat beer :-)

To make things easier, I installed a "T" on a gas line so I could also have a liquid quick disconnect hooked up to gas. This allows me to add the CO2 straight to the bottom of the keg for setting up the initial blanket. It also allows me to bubble CO2 up from the bottom when purging the head space. This also has the benefit of scrubbing away any green beer volatile aromas, ie. sulfur.

So...go for it. Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.

v/r
Bill
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yup sounds good

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Thanks Billy,

That's the information I was looking for, sounds like a breeze, I am going to rack my Dortmunder Export off this weekend, so I'll give it a go.

Hang in there,

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"