Temp change between Primary and Secondary?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

BrewPup

Temp change between Primary and Secondary?

Post by BrewPup »

First time brewer.......

I am already thru Primary fermentation on a recipe with Pilsner ingredients and ALE yeast. The Primary ran at about 66 degrees for 1 week.

After racking to secondary, I moved it to a fridge where it is running at about 50 degrees.

What effect, if any, can I expect that to have? In particular, the change in temp from primary to secondary?

I intend to let it sit in secondary for a week then allow to come to room temp, prime, bottle, sit for 2 weeks and then refrigerate.
Phobos
Light Lager
Light Lager

What effect, if any, can I expect that to have

Post by Phobos »

Hi, Did you check your specific gravity to see if the ale yeast was finished fermenting? 50 F will make the ale yeast go dormant and stop fermenting. Did you use liquid or dry yeast? Certain strains of liquid ale yeast can ferment down to 55 -60 F. (German and scottish ales) :?:
BrewPup

Post by BrewPup »

HOLA!!!

It was a dry yeast that I used...Cooper's Ale Yeast. And Bru-Vigor added to the wort.

I checked the SG...although being my first time brewing ever, I'm not sure if it was "finished" per se.

Original gravity was 1.040

After a week in primary it was down to 1.018.

There were NO bubbles coming from the airlock.

Aside from the action of the airlock, how do I know if it was "done" outside of doing multiple gravity readings a few days apart?

I will probably bring it out of refrigeration this Friday afternoon and then will not be able to bottle it until Saturday afternoon, so it will sit at least another 24 hours at the same temp it ran in primary.

I intend to check the gravity before bottling and if it is not below 1.015 then I will let it sit at room temp for a few days before I bottle it.
Phobos
Light Lager
Light Lager

Done?

Post by Phobos »

Hey, Did you input your recipe into Beer tools? The site will give you a finishing gravity. What kind of beer did you make? When I first started brewing I used dry yeast too. I noticed that sometimes the dry yeast would poop out early and I would have higher gravities. Either way, when you take a gravity reading try the beer and see what it tastes like. If it tastes like warm beer it's done. If it tastes like beer , but has a sweet and syrup like flavor, the yeast did not finish fermenting. You could add more yeast if needed. Hope this helps. Let me know how the beer comes out after bottling. Enjoy! :lol: