Needing a recipie for prickley pears in beer - please!

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

RHODA4YODA

Needing a recipie for prickley pears in beer - please!

Post by RHODA4YODA »

I have a mother load of prickley pears in my backyard and I thought that I would incorporate them into a brew, but I am lacking a recipie. I know from childhood experiences that they are slightly sweet and have little hair-like stickers that are very difficult to remove. I am referring to the reddish-purple fruit of the cactus and not the green "leafy" part of the plant. Well anyway, if anyone has any recipies or ideas it will be greatly appreciated.

Eagerly waiting for a response,

-Danny
Malificus

Post by Malificus »

I'd try a strawberry recipie, just replacing the strawberry for pricklypears. Heck just add the pricklies to a pale ale.
Dogger Dan
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Dogger Dan »

Please let me know how you make out

Thanks

Dogger
anything less than full is empty
wheelerfreak

Post by wheelerfreak »

I'm thinking of the same thing. We have tons of fat prickly pears, why not try em in a recipe? My wife make jelly out of them, so I figure I'll steal some of the fruits after she cleans them and try them in a recipe. I haven't found a recipe that would suit them though.
RHODA4YODA

fruit swap

Post by RHODA4YODA »

I hadn't checked the forum in a long while. My question went a while without a response. I figured it got swept under the rug. I guess that the logical thing to do is swap them instead of strawberries in a recipie. Thanks Malificus, but unfortunately I moved away from the desert and there are no prickley pears here. I will see if I can grow some here. If so, will update with a recipie.