Porter Recipe's anyone?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

brewfeller
Light Lager
Light Lager

Porter Recipe's anyone?

Post by brewfeller »

A friend of mine has got me interested in trying homebrewing. My favorite style is Porter, particularly Sierra Nevada Porter or Fullers London Porter. Does anyone have a good clone type recipe or something similar that would be easy for a first timer? I am sure I would be trying extracts first before I attempt an all grain brew. Right?
maltvault
Light Lager
Light Lager

My Extract days.

Post by maltvault »

I made a Porter that was very close to Tommyknockers Black Powder. This was my second homebrew; after a 4 year break, and it is an all extract. I've moved on to 1/2 mashes, but do not have the equipment or space for a full mash. Mashing rules 'cause you can control every aspect of the beer, it's the gormet cooking of alcohols. Any yahoo can distill, but it takes real skill to make a drinkable product that is the same stuff on the stove 14 days before. Sorry, I ramble.

1 can "Iron Master Porter" it's 4lbs. of dark
extract with the hops in it.
3 lbs. Dark Dry Malt Extract
4 lbs. Light Dry Malt Extract
2 oz. Hallertaur hops

Hops are in for the full 60 minute boil. If you do not boil hops the oils will not break down and get mixed in with the wort. Hop oils are NOT water soluable therefore the have to be blended with heat.

OG= 1.084 FG= 1.016
I got a great brew from this, have converted it to a 1/2 mash, it needs at leasst 7 days in the primary and 12 days in the secondary. Age in bottles for 10-14 days; it's worth the wait. I've a nice Irish Cream Stout going now. Look for my other recipies in the library, mine are all Rhino. i.e. Rhinos wheat, Rhinos Porter. Good luck, and I hope your journey into this great hobby is a good one. Remember, sanitation is the key to a good beer, if it tastes like cider or wine you have an infection.

-Beer is proof that God loves us.- Ben Franklin
Raydownunder
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Porter

Post by Raydownunder »

G'day
to do a real porter you will have to mash. I know !@#$ happens but if you want to taste this style its the only way. Extract will get you close so look up a few recipies and try them. I have a mash recipe called Lady Dark and I can tell you its the best drop you could try (well its nice, no great).
Have a go at a extract but you have more control over a mash.
cheers!
Raydownunder
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Porter

Post by Raydownunder »

G'day
to do a real porter you will have to mash. I know !@#$ happens but if you want to taste this style its the only way. Extract will get you close so look up a few recipies and try them. I have a mash recipe called Lady Dark and I can tell you its the best drop you could try (well its nice, no great).
Have a go at a extract but you have more control over a mash.
cheers!