Trub!!

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

birdhunter

Trub!!

Post by birdhunter »

Removing trub is a never-ending dilemma for me. Allowing it to settle to the bottom of the brew pot and then siphoning the wort off it just seems to cause more problems than it is worth. The siphon always clogs even when using a copper scouring sponge as a filter. Has anybody found a better solution?
BrunsBrew

About Trub

Post by BrunsBrew »

In my experience, to get rid of the resulting sludge, don't drag the siphon along the bottom of the brew pot. Its hard to avoid the guk but it helps. Then I like to use filters when siphoning from fermenter to carboy and so forth.
birdhunter

Thanks

Post by birdhunter »

So I assume that you siphon off the top and lower the siphon hose as the liquid level gets lower until you reach the sediment at the bottom. If I do this then I should probably brew about 5 1/2 to 6 gallons to get 5 gallons in the end. Thanks for the tip!
mich

Another solution

Post by mich »

To reduce the risk of contamination, you can transfer all the wort to a glass carboy if you are brewing 5 gallons. This way you can watch the trub settle to the bottom, and when it has formed a layer at the bottom you can siphon the wort off the sediment into your primary fermenter and pitch the yeast. The advantages are: 1) visibility and 2) shelter from contamination during the settling period.
stikman

whole hops

Post by stikman »

whirlpool,then syphon from top down using chore boy on the edge of the pot.works great for me with whole hops