Time to rack from primary to secondary

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Sapper
Light Lager
Light Lager

Time to rack from primary to secondary

Post by Sapper »

Alright. . .
I am a wimp and won't try this myself without asking if anyone has done it and what were the results.

Beer still showing krausen (mine has 1/2 inch or so) and racking to secondary; will it make a difference????

Will it make a difference if I rack to the secondary before primary fermentation is complete?

Logic tells me that if I do it quickly and don't expose the beer to extreme tempeture changes that the stronger fermentation will complete in the secondary fermenter. I know that this will necessitate a third container to let the beer finish and clear.

I haven't done this yet, like I said, I am a wimp.

Anybody done this???
What happened???
DreamWeaver
Light Lager
Light Lager

When To Rack

Post by DreamWeaver »

In General, (depending on many variables) I think it is safe to rack to secondary anytime after active fermentation has started & up to 10 days max (for me and my Ales). Some yeast types have a lasting krausen and some seem to drop fast or cling on to the sides but once active ferm is going, there is sufficient yeast to finish the job. "Most" of the fermentation is done in the first few days.

I prefer to get the beer into secondary when airlock activity seems to be on the down side or slowing. Usually I go 5 days no matter what. Then 7-14 days average for secondary. Longer for specialty beers & Lagers.

Cheers!
Four More Beers!... Four More Beers!... Four More Beers! ...
Sapper
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Sapper »

This is my first effort at a "Wee Heavy".
The krausen usually falls for my other ales after 4-7 days, then I rack.

That's with WYeast 1056.
For this "Wee Heavy" I used White Labs Edienburgh yeast.

I smelled the airlock this morning and it still smells yeasty.
The krausen on top is solid looking, but 1/2" or less deep.
I saw only one bubble release from the airlock and I was with the fermenter for more than 5 minutes.

I think I am going to rack it.
It has to sit in the secondary for quite a while anyway, so if fermentation kicks back up I'll just have to use a third fermenter.

I am obsessing.