New to all grain ??????

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

monopoleyman

New to all grain ??????

Post by monopoleyman »

I have been brewing with grain/extract recipes for many years with great success. I have tried a couple of all grain batches while they don't taste bad at all, they all seem to have a very thin mouth feel. Where am I going wrong? Could some one recommend a good mash proceedure.

Thanks
Lou
beertime

(AG) free site

Post by beertime »

Lou I havent tried doing all grain yet, but I'v been looking around and collecting info on it. I'm still new to liquid extract. Maybe you can find some answers here. (http://www.freewebs.com/homebrew/process.htm) Good Luck Drinking Beer Is Like,Drinking Beer
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Acouple of tips.

Post by Brewer2001 »

Lou,

Here are a few tips on mashing. Mash hotter (up to 158 deg F)and mash thicker in a ratio of 2 r lbs.water /1 lb. grain (1 qrt./lb of grain). these conditions favor thicker maltier beer.

Let me know if you want the full explaination on the whys.

Good brewing,

Tom f.
gene
Light Lager
Light Lager

New to all grain ??????

Post by gene »

use 1/2 or so of caramel malt to five gallon recipe
gene
Light Lager
Light Lager

New to all grain ??????

Post by gene »

use 1/2 or so of caramel malt to five gallon recipe
caosesvida
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by caosesvida »

i boost the grain bill up a bit anywhere from 10 pounds to 12 pounda, just add a little more barley till you get the OG you are looking for. I experiment a lot and thats part of what i like about all grain.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

If you are looking for malry brews

Post by Azorean Brewer »

I agree with everything that has been said. I have been making all grain for 3 years and one thing that I have learned is to mash at 154F or higher (up to 158F) if you are looking for malty brews ...

Also not wanting to blow my own horn (this recipe can be found in the Dec. 2002 Brew your own), if you are looking for a REALLY GOOD malty reicipe try mine found under "Highland Gaelic Ale" in the recipe archives, man oh man, this is one awesome ale ... just do a search for recipes containing text "Highland Gaelic Ale" OK?

Cheers.

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"