Frozen Yeast

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Frozen Yeast

Post by Freon12 »

I have a small amount of Pilsner Urquell yeast on a slant. My frig control went out and the yeast was subjected to 14f for 8 hrs. Is it dead? Or can I wake it up and it be worth using?
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Frozen Wyeast Worked OK

Post by andytv »

I recently received an overdue shipment of Wyeast from my supplier. Unexpected bad weather delayed delivery, and I feel that the package was frozen at one point. When I opned the package and examined the contents, I felt ice inside the slap pack of yeast. I thawed and started incubation os normal. The yeast was dated 10/2001 so I expected slow goings. Ther result; after 12 hrs, the yeast pkg showed signs of expansion, and was at full force within 24.

I assume that the nutrient portion was compleltly frozen, and I got the package as it was thawing (UPS trucks are heated).

My yeast produces a great Munich Helles, yet I don't know for sure what the answer to your question is, have you tried proofing the yeast in question?? Let me know, I am interested and there sure isn't much info on the subject out there.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Wake up

Post by Freon12 »

I put the old magnetic stir plate to work and after 2 days I got some air lock action. I then stepped it up to 1000ml. The resultant beer has a strange and slightly harsh flavor that is not normal for this beer, I am sure is yeast related. I am still aging it, maybe it will mature out?
Maybe the frozen yeast is less agressive than before. I say this because may F.G. was 2 pts high.
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Unfortunate

Post by andytv »

It stinks that your batch didn't turn out as expected, my experience really can't be written into law since I have no idea how frozen the yeast/starter became. Because the beer turened out good, I assume that it had only begun to freeze. I looked online for the answer to your question, and have found nothing, have you tried contacting Wyeast (www.wyeastlab.com) they are pretty responsive to most inquiries.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Read the label

Post by Freon12 »

My reply from the lab was "don't freeze the yeast"
I think maybe how it is frozen and at what tempreture is a variable I may play around with. It may lead to a long term storage solution. Maybe I'll visit the Sperm bank with a bottle of Abby.(I hope this is not "rude or vulger" due to the scientific nature of this)