10 Gallon batch question

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

10 Gallon batch question

Post by joemez »

I just did my first 10 gallon batch(extract) and split it up into two carboys. My problem is that I forgot to remove the hop bag when I was draining the pot, so at the end of the second carboy it recieved a lot of hop residue. Also one carboy got filled a bit higher than the other. When I rack into my kegs should I fill each keg up with half out of each carboy to even the batch out or is this a bad idea.

By the way, I like the Idea in the post below for filling growlers from my kegs. I didnt think it was possible to fill without a cpbf.
Thanks
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

A question with a question.........?

Post by Brewer2001 »

Joe,

You are the brewer, what do you want to acheve?

Your idea about keeping the trub out of the kegs is a must but after that you are on your own. I would syphon from the middle of your 'dirty' carboy working down to the bottom and stopping just short of the trub.

Here are some things to think about.

To blend or not to blend:

If you 'need' to have a large volume of beer that is the same (color, flavor, alcohol content) then I would blend it half and half.

If the beer in each carboy was very different (in the attributes listed above) you may want to experiment to see where it takes you. You may like one over the other or one may celler differently.

If you decide to blend ProMash has a built in calculator that allows you to work dilutions with water, wort or beer. You can download the trial for free. (I think it is www.Promash.com)

Again you are the brewer, if you decide to deviate from the rules that is ok as long as it justifies the end.....which is making good beer.

Good brewing,

Tom F.
joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

to blend

Post by joemez »

I think I shall choose to blend to get the level even since it will not cause problems.
I think my next one I will use a splitter and fill both carboys at the same time.
caosesvida
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by caosesvida »

When I dump from my keg i put about 1/4 in one and likewise for the other, then repeat, At this point I put in the yeast starter. I figure that this evens out the temperture and other thins. continue till I get about 3/4 in both carboys. Then I put the rest in with a gallon plastic jug that i had the starter in , and shake it up to get more oxygen.

I also know that when you chill a keg of wort down the temps between the top and the bottom and the cold coil are very different, this evens them out.