Mid Taste

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Antin8

Mid Taste

Post by Antin8 »

Anyone have any ideas why my last few batches have this odd "mid tatse" as I call it.

Initial taste is great.
After taste is Great.

Just that point where your swallowing it seems to be a little harsh.
Phobos
Light Lager
Light Lager

Mis taste?

Post by Phobos »

Do you use allot of flavor hops?
Antin8

Re: Mid taste?

Post by Antin8 »

Phobos wrote:Do you use allot of flavor hops?
Just what the recipe called for...
I was reading another post. about UV.. could this possibly be from some UV ... I kept it in our laundry room with the door shut much as possible... but my wife does do laundry. May be some days she left the light on and/or left the door open.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Not UV...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

UV will not cause this type of flavor fault, but rather light-stuck flavor known as "catty" or "skunky".

To further help, I need the following answered:

1) All grain, extract/steeped grain, extract exclusively?
2) Hop alphas, dosages and times in the boil
3) Sanitization agents and methods

Please... I know this will be hard.... try to specifically describe the "off" flavor as you perceive it in as much detail as possible. I've been trained in sensory analysis, so if you can get a handle on the description, I may be able to solve this one quicker.

Eric
Antin8

Re: Not UV...

Post by Antin8 »

Mesa Maltworks wrote:
1) All grain, extract/steeped grain, extract exclusively?
2) Hop alphas, dosages and times in the boil
3) Sanitization agents and methods

Eric
As far as these go..

I use the extract/steeped grain
Hop alphas, dosages and times in the boil veried from brew to brew
Sanitization agents and methods.... I use iodine and rubbing alcohol... rubbing alcohol on utensils and the mouth of the carboy... soak the carboy with Iodine and water for a decent amount of time...usually while I'm brewing
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Three things come to mind.

Post by Brewer2001 »

Antin,

My first impression is (was) fusil alcohol which is a warming or tingling on the tongue. However when you listed iodine (iodine based sanitizer) I thought of phenols. High concentrations of iodine can taste phenolic in nature. Third is the isopropal may not be poisonous in its 'natural' state but it is in rubbing alcohol. I would switch to StarSan and only use alcohol (grain alcohol) when handling yeast propigation. If you want to use iadophor mix it in the correct proportions.

Good brewing,

Tom F.
Antin8

Post by Antin8 »

also I have noticed when I pour my beer in this last batch.. the bubbles seem kind of big at first..

this batch seems to taste better.. a lot of taste in the middle of my tongue I would say...

maybe I'm over analyzing my beer since I'm making it