Fermentation issues

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

dclifford

Fermentation issues

Post by dclifford »

I brewed an IPA a while ago, but the fermentation seemed to stop abnormally short. My OG was initially 1.068 and I'm now at about 1.020, steady for just about three days now. 10 days total on the fermentation process. I'm curious if I should re-pitch and see if I can get the FG down to what I was expecting/hoping for of about 1.014-1.015. I've never had a beer not continue to ferment to my desired F.G. before. Am I going to cause problems if I pitch yeast again and try to get it down? Ideas? TIA...
Dr Strangebrew
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Re: Fermentation issues

Post by Dr Strangebrew »

What kind of yeast did you use? Dry? Liquid? What company? What strain? Do you know if the yeast was alcohol tolerant? Chances are you are okay, but I can write a little more if I have more info. Did you correct your gravity for temperature?

Cheers,
Nate
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

YES! Pitch again... BUT...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Pitch NEW yeast from a smack pack, but do it as an aerated starter, do not re-aerate the wort. If you do, it will go into reproductive, rather than fermentation stage. This will cause additional lag time. Also, at this low of a gravity, aeration can cause oxidative reactions that will emerge later during conditioning. If there are not any other wort nutrition or microbiological competiton issues , this should do the trick.

Eric
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
dclifford

Post by dclifford »

Nate,

I used White Labs WLP0005, British Ale, and yes I correct for temperature every time I take a SG reading.

Eric,

I'll try and get a starter going and pitch after it starts. Thanks for the advice.

-Doug
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

DME?

Post by Push Eject »

All of the beers I ever made that didn't "finish out" were made with dry malt extract.

I know not everyone has experienced this with their DME, but it wasn't until I switched to all-grain that my FG finally hit their marks. Even with lots of yeast nutrients in the extract/partial-mash batches.

Cheers!
Charlie