Yeast Starter Life

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

LodgePole Brewer

Yeast Starter Life

Post by LodgePole Brewer »

Long story short, due to shipping problems from online store, I started my yeast starter last thurs (9-9) and brewed and pitched today (9-14). Is the starter still good? :?:
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Yeast Starter Life

Post by Push Eject »

LodgePole Brewer wrote:Long story short, due to shipping problems from online store, I started my yeast starter last thurs (9-9) and brewed and pitched today (9-14). Is the starter still good? :?:
How old was the yeast? Had it been handled well up to the point you made your starter (i.e. temperature controlled)? Did the starter take off and krausen then subside over the five days?

If the yeast was fresh and handled well and formed a krausen that then fell and wasn't exposed to bacteria when you made your starter THEN you're probably okay.

However, five days is a LONG time in yeast-life at room temperature. If you were careful with your sanitation you may be okay and you can pitch at will.

Frankly, I wouldn't chance a five-day-old starter. Just my personal thing. I'd shell out ten bucks for fresh white labs vials and pitch from there. It's not that I mind a risky beer, but I like to take risks with the recipe itself and interesting ingredients... not bacteria! :)

Hope this was helpful. If you DO pitch that starter, let us know how it goes!

Cheers,
Charlie
LodgePole Brewer

Post by LodgePole Brewer »

The place I ordered the yeast from shipped it between 2 cans of liquid malt extract. When the package arrived, the inner pack had already been smacked and it was fully inflated, so I pretty much had to make the starter right away. (reputable online home brewer shop, so the yeast was new)
Steralization was followed every step. The krausen started and settled after about a day and a half and I had a nice thick cake on the bottom, which foamed nicely when shaken. So I pitched it anyways, and it took about 12 hours to start but its bubbling pretty vigorously now, so I hope it sustains for a few more days, and doesnt crap out on me early. (my last one did that and I did not get the number I needed.)
Thanks for the help !!!