Batch Sparging

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

LodgePole Brewer

Batch Sparging

Post by LodgePole Brewer »

Im at the partial mash stage and doing batch sparging. What is the recommended addition of grains per lb to make up for the loss due to a batch sparge? I wasnt sure if there was a set number or if its just trial and error.
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Batch Sparging

Post by Push Eject »

LodgePole Brewer wrote: What is the recommended addition of grains per lb to make up for the loss due to a batch sparge?
I am sure that there is a scientific and proper response to this, BUT what I have been taught and doing successfully is DOUBLING the base malt.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Charlie
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I have never doubled up

Post by jayhawk »

I have batch sparged the last two batches I have done (total of 15 gals). I have actually found that I get better effeciency batch sparging. I think this is because I stir the mash when adding the first and second round of sparge water. I also heat the sparge water high enough so that the grain bed hits around 75C, thereby completing a "mash out".

All this said, it may be a good idea anyway to add a few more pounds of grain to the first batch you make this way. That way if you do get good effeciency, then you are just going to come in a bit high on the OG. Since you are partial mash you can always cut back on how much extract you add in later. As a hedge, keep some extra extract on hand in case you do undershoot on the mash. Once you get your mashing rythym you will know exactly how much grain you need to get you to your desired OG.

Here is a link to a post where I learned the technique:

http://www.beertools.com/classicforum/i ... r-2153[url]

Chris[/url]