Thinking about using an adjunct

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Thinking about using an adjunct

Post by jayhawk »

I am considering brewing a light lager beer using 16lBs pils malt with 5lbs of corn sugar, then diluting it down after the boil to make a 10-12 gal batch of 4.5% beer. Will a high level of corn sugar contribute any undesirable flavours? We all know it is a good, clean, priming agent, but what about as an adjunct?
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

My experience has been ...

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Chris,

In my past experience using corn sugar is that it will give you a cidery flavor ... but I am not sure at what ratio.

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"
BryansBrew

5 pounds?

Post by BryansBrew »

Yeah, 5 pounds is quite a lot in terms of percentage. People overplay the cider-flavors of pure sugar, but at the amounts you're considering- it just might be a problem! I also read somewhere that if you add a high percentage of raw sugar, you might have a problem with yeast fermentability.

If you're making an american pils, why not use corn grits and/or rice?
Throw in 5 pounds of MINUTE rice in the mash, and go to town.

Or boil up in equal amount of corn grits or regular rice and add that to the mash (you need to boil those to gelatanize the starches).
Bryan Peretto
Head Brewer
Grudlann na gCnoc Culpach
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Minute rice...interesting

Post by jayhawk »

Have you ever used the minute rice trick before? Should I grind it up first? Sounds like a good way to skip the cereal mash.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Cereal Mash Is Manditory...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

When using corn or/and rice as adjuncts, you must perform a high temperature cereal mash (180 deg. F.) to ensure geletinization of the starch and subsequent conversion. When doing so, make sure to thrw in a small handfull of base malt so that there are enough enzymes to break the starches down. Then you can add the slurry to the main mash and mash as usual.

Eric
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands