Water Science: All Grain Liquor question

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Water Science: All Grain Liquor question

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hello Beertools members,

My question is this: My water is at 7.0 - 8.0 pH. Should I be adjusting it with Citric acid to try and drop the level. I traditionally use 1/2 Teaspoon Epsom Salts, and 1/2 Teaspoon Gypsum. I am not really sure if there is anything else I need to do.

A side note: Presently I have my "Haufbrau Helles" lagering, my Big Bang I.P.A., in secondary, and my Harp Lager clone in primary. Can't wait for them to be ready, on deck is Oktoberfest (late I know) , A Pete's Wicked ale clone, and my Gaelic Ale clone.

Cheers,

Thanks for any feedback.

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Water Treatment...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Yes... adjust the pH with food grade phosphoric acid to 6.0 pH prior to dough in. This should result in a 5.2~5.3 mash pH.

As for the burtonizing agents you are using, do you do this because your water analysis indicates a lack of these elements or because you learned this by following someone else's recipies? The use of these items should only be based on the lack of them when trying to replicate Burton on Trent style water specifications to produce British style ales. Using them in other beer styles may contribute "chalky" &/or salty elements to their flavors that would not be appropriate for the style.

Eric
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Temp

Post by jayhawk »

Mesa, what is the temperature of the water when you adjust it to ph 6?
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Water Temp...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

I use an Orion 210A+ pH meter which is automatically trmperature correcting, so it doesn't matter what temp. the water is as long as it doesn't exceed the probe's maximum of 80 Deg. C.

Eric

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Water temp cont'd.

Post by jayhawk »

I just bought a $30 pH meter online yesterday. I am not sure if it is temp correcting or not. Should I be adjusting my mash pH at a certain temp or does it even matter?
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

pH measurements are temperature dependant...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Yes, pH should be corrected by the sample temperature just like hydrometer and refractometer readings. <$100 pH meters are rarely ATC. To boot, they are not meant to be used in proteinaceous solutions (mash/wort). The junctions clog very quickly and give faulty readings. Their life is very short when used in brewing applications because their typical maximum temp. is ~85 deg. F.. There is a great inexpensive meter made by Exetech. It has sealed, replaceable probes, is ATC and waterproof. I get them wholesale for around $120, I guess they would retail for $150-$175. Proteins in solution should not effect them. You can try my source: www.daigger.com, but as I said, they are typically commerical sellers only.

Eric

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands