Black O-Ring fell into my wort!

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

sh1ver

Black O-Ring fell into my wort!

Post by sh1ver »

I was racking my beer into the secondary fermentor (5 gallon bucket) and while putting the airlock into place the black O-ring that helps the seal fell into the wort. The bad news is that I didn
Dr Strangebrew
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Probably okay

Post by Dr Strangebrew »

I would guess that you have little to worry about. I've dropped the same thing, and worse, into batches that later turned out fine. The foam may be due to a reguvinated fermentation caused by sploshing the beer around during transfer. How long was it it in the primary?

Nate
DreamWeaver
Light Lager
Light Lager

Give it An Appropriate Name!

Post by DreamWeaver »

I too think you will be OK. You'll look back and laugh later over the possible anxiety it caused. I know I've had some stress over things like this. Just think... It's incidents like this that giver beer a Great Name... something like ... "Black Hole?" or "O-Ring Oktoberfest" the list is endless! :lol:
Four More Beers!... Four More Beers!... Four More Beers! ...
sh1ver

Excellent news

Post by sh1ver »

Thanks for the replies. Dr. Strangebrew, it was in the primary for 8 days, and now in secondary for 5 days. I think ill wait one more week or maybe less and then bottle. Thanks for the name ideas dreamweaver, I got a good laugh when I read those.
The beer is a Pale Ale by the way.
sh1ver

Post by sh1ver »

Well now the 1/2" layer of "foam" seems to be kinda slimy. I moved the carboy and watched some fall to the bottom. I think it maybe contaminated or maybe im still paranoid. I shall wait a couple of weeks and taste before bottling.