Help Please

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

skiluvr03
Light Lager
Light Lager

Help Please

Post by skiluvr03 »

I don't know what I did wrong with my other post because nobody will help me, but I need to know what to do, my aerator isn't bouncing anymore, stopped in less than 24 hours. Should I take a sanitized spoon and stir it some more?
DreamWeaver
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by DreamWeaver »

If your airlock stopped showing signs of activity, I would take a hydrometer reading to see if it is done fermenting. This will take the guess work out of the worrying. If you don't have one, I would'nt worry too much. Let it set in primary for 10 days (give or take) and bottle it. If it was bubbling and now isn't, chances are you are good to go. If you are going to rack to secondary, do it now, or if your hydrometer reading is where you may expect. (Maybe 1.016 or less.) Depending on any variables.

Hope this helps!

BTW, you did'nt do anything wrong on your first post. I think the "aeration" being mistaken for an airlock confused the question. I know I had a senior moment for a split second! :D Let us know how it turns out!
Four More Beers!... Four More Beers!... Four More Beers! ...
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Air lock activity

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hi,

You did not specify whether you are using plastic fermenters or Carboys for primary, so I assuming that it is plastic. One thing that it could be is that lid of your bucket is leaking every so slightly and you are losing gases that way. It is not a big problem. You sound like a newbie, and when we first start this sometimes frustratiing hobby we tend to worry a bit. Just let the yeast do the work and you will be fine.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. My father in-laws mom brewed in an open crock on the back porch with just cheese cloth covering it during the Prohibition, They didn't know squat from sterile, and I have been told it was some of the best beer around.

A good tip is to WRITE every thing down that you do and READ, READ, READ ... That way when you get a really good batch go back and see what you did. Your beer is going to be fine ... Don't worry have a home brew ...

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"
skiluvr03
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Air lock activity

Post by skiluvr03 »

Azorean Brewer wrote:You did not specify whether you are using plastic fermenters or Carboys for primary, so I assuming that it is plastic.
I am using plastic as the primary and was considering going to 5 gal glass carboy as a secondary?
Azorean Brewer wrote:You sound like a newbie, and when we first start this sometimes frustratiing hobby we tend to worry a bit. Just let the yeast do the work and you will be fine.
You sure got that right!! ROFL
Azorean Brewer wrote:I have said it before and I'll say it again. My father in-laws mom brewed in an open crock on the back porch with just cheese cloth covering it during the Prohibition, They didn't know squat from sterile, and I have been told it was some of the best beer around.
That is real encouraging! Thanks for sharing that with me!
Azorean Brewer wrote:A good tip is to WRITE every thing down that you do and READ, READ, READ ... That way when you get a really good batch go back and see what you did. Your beer is going to be fine ... Don't worry have a home brew ...
I will do just that! Thanks again for all of your help. I wrote a longer detailed reply with my recipe and stuff, but I somehow goofed and it turned-out to be a new post instead of a reply. Sorry. Have a good weekend!!!