Made Mistake?

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

skiluvr03
Light Lager
Light Lager

Made Mistake?

Post by skiluvr03 »

Hello, I read some of the past post to see if this was already posted, but couldn't find exactly the same situation. Without getting too technical about my ingreds and process, my aerator was going crazy the first night and the next day I started getting worried that it was going to run out of water because it was splashing out, so I added a little more to it. I didn't fill it up, but it hasn't done anything since. I can tell it still has pressure, but I miss that gurgling sound. Now, it is my understanding that you don't want to mess it (such as add oxygen) so as to not contaminate it. If it isn't gurgling, how do I tell if it is done working? This is my first batch and I followed directions to a "T", but I hope I didn't blow-it already. I don't know if this forum is like the one I am on staff at, but, if links are allowed, where is a good place to buy bottles and stuff to put it in? Thanks for your help in advance. If this is tech. enough, let me know, and I will put the yeast and all that into the reply. Thanks again.
B Stein
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by B Stein »

If liquid was splashing out as you say, you must be doing open fermentation without an airlock.

Is this true?
Work is the curse of the drinking class....Oscar Wilde
MMM,BEER

hmmmmm?

Post by MMM,BEER »

If you meant splash out of the ARILOCK it sometimes happens with extremely vigerous top fermenting, it could mean you fermenting vessel is to small or you put to much into it. Aslong as its all sterile and nothing goes inwards you should be fine. To check if it finished take an SG reading, if you dont know what this is got to a homebrew shop and buy a brewing hydrometer.
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Cheap Vodka

Post by KBrau »

I think what you are saying is that your airlock splashed out and not there is not enough liquid to create bubbles. What I recommend you do is add enough liquid to the airlock to ensure that it is actually locking air out. I usually use some cheap vodka in the airlock. It is sterile and there is no harm if it gets into your beer. As long as it has been fermenting strongly there was probably no harm in having a faulty airlock because the CO2 was pushing out any air. As fermentation slows however the airlock becomes increasingly important.
skiluvr03
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by skiluvr03 »

Well, don't everyone start screaming at me, but all I had was some tequilla and I used that, soon after the "splashing" incident that has created this big crisis in my life. I hope I didn't mess up sharing shots of the Gold with the Amber. I think I'm gonna be alright, to tell you the truth, because it started making that music again that I love, that keeps the wife up all night, everynight, because I have the fermenter in the bedroom in case the house catches on fire, I can take it out to safety with me, and possibly along with the wife and 3 kids and lab. Have a good weeked ya'll
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Tequilla

Post by KBrau »

Tequilla should be fine. The main thing is that it wont harbor bacteria. Also even if a little bit gets into the fermenter it will be such a small amount that it wont affect anything. Things are going to turn out great, provided your wife doesn't leave you for putting the beer first. Although I am sure we can all relate. Happy Brewing.

Rich
skiluvr03
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by skiluvr03 »

ROFL, thanks for your reply. Well, if the wife leaves, I will have a bunch of beer to share with the local college girls, lol. Just joking. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.