yeast prob.

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

beertime

yeast prob.

Post by beertime »

I boild a batch of brown ale 12 hrs. ago.The yeast for this is liquid 1028 London Ale. It comes in a packet with another packet inside. The directions said brake the inside packet and knead the two togeather. Ok so when I opend the outer packet and piched it . That is when I realized the iner packet did not brake open to activate. So I opened it and pitched that also. Now its been 12 hrs and I'm getting no action. Do I need to use another pkg. of yeast? and do I have to use the same yeast, or can I use a pkg. of Muntons dry yeast that I hade from another kit. I do have another pkg of the 1028 London Ale. Or should I give the yeast I used more time??? Help <> Rory
beertime

Yeast Prob.

Post by beertime »

The turnout for this prob. was ok, I didint panic, But I was hoping for a little advice here. Ok so I learnd the smack packs of yeast should be smacked 24 hrs. befor use.You must make shure the inner pack brakes. It took 36 hrs. to see any action in my airlock. I think I like the dry yeast more, it seems to take right off. DRINK BEER
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

We must have been drinking

Post by fitz »

You will get some good advice here beertime.
Sometimes, during a weekend, or a holiday, you may have to wait a few days to get a reply. We were all out drinking for the 4th of July.
Liquid yeast takes 24 to 72 hours to swell, and be pitchable. You could have used the muntons also. sometimes I pitch a lager, and an ale yeast into the same batch.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Tell me more

Post by Freon12 »

A lager and ale?
What tempreture are we using and what advantage have you been hiding from the group ehhhh?

Steve
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

It may be no advantage, but it makes me feel good

Post by fitz »

I have been using the low end of the ale temp range. Even at a higher temp than suggested for lagers, the lager yeast still remains clean. I do this sometimes, because I will be naturally carbonating at the lower lager temps, and I want to make sure it carbonates, or I don't have bottle bombs, or gushers. It seems to work, even though I am sure I'll will hear contrary scientific data on it. I like to experiment, and this seems to work for me. As stated before, I like the availability of dry yeast, so I have been using Superior lager, and Nottingham ale. They seem to work well together. I'm not sure if I made a Lale or a Alger, but they seem to taste pretty Darn good.