Newbie Question

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

skiluvr03
Light Lager
Light Lager

Newbie Question

Post by skiluvr03 »

Hello, I just got my first beer kit (ingredients) in the mail and the directions call for a 7 gallon fermenter. I have two 5 gallon glass Carboys, which I was told was what I needed, by a friend. Do I need to go buy a 7 gallon plastic fermenter, or can I alter the recipe or something. Thanks, I'm ready to get started. The kit I have is for altbier and has munton ingredients.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I would opt for the plastic

Post by fitz »

I would opt for the plastic pail if I were you.
Get one with a spigot, and you can use it for your priming/bottling bucket.
In a 5 gallon carboy, you should only make 3 to 3.5 gallons of beer, to leave room for the fermentation. Then you would still need the bottling bucket. Get a plastic pail primary, that you can use as a bottling bucket. Did you get all of the other needed tools: Hydrometer, capper, hoses, bottle filler, racking cane, etc. That is one nice thing about a brewing kit, it sets you up with all the little things, and most have a beginner's brewing book with it.
skiluvr03
Light Lager
Light Lager

Yes

Post by skiluvr03 »

Thanks for your reply. I do have all of the tools you described. Are all plastic buckets created equal? I read to get food grade plastic, but what exactly is that? I was hoping that I didn't have to use a plastic bucket because I like to watch the fermentation at work (more fun than watching a fish tank) but if that's what I need to do, then I will do it. Thanks for the help again.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

beer vs wine

Post by fitz »

Beer is different than wine in the aspect of hops, do not do well with light. The Skunky smell from a clear or green bottle, comes from UV light contacting hop oils, and thus creating the almost identical compound that a skunk shoots when mad. I know this helps clear bottle sale soar right!
Anyway, your local brewshop or mail order place should have primary ferment buckets and have them cheap. I think I spent around 8 bucks for one a couple months ago. like I said earlier, get one with a spigot, so you can primary ferment, and bottle with it. The glass carboys will be great for the secondary fermenting.
skiluvr03
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thanks

Post by skiluvr03 »

Thanks! Now I know why everyone uses plastic for beer. My friend got me set-up to make wine like he does, but I see now it's diff with beer. I will order one with a spigot right now, thanks again.
herocomplex
Light Lager
Light Lager

Glass Primary

Post by herocomplex »

You can also get a 6 1/2 gallon carboy for you primary. I love to watch the fermentation process as well and I always want to make sure that things are starting up properly. I also feel a little safer with glass as it's easier to sanitize and lasts longer. Just keep it out of the light.

- herocomplex
JSGilbert

Post by JSGilbert »

With a 5 gal. carboy, you usually want to concern yourself with blowoff by connection a blow-off tube. This gets rid of fusel alcohols and other hop related comounds that I understand are what can/do cause a beer headache and off flavors. All things considered, you might have very little blowoff or a lot. After the fermentation has settled, attach an airlock.

With a 6.5 gal. carboy, an airlock is fine because there isn't much worry of blowoff unless you are doing a higher gravity brew. However, all of those aforementioned nasties will stay in your beer-which is okay.

SO, you can do a full batch in a 5 gal. carboy - you just need to prepare for blowoff!!!
Cheers,

Jeremy

"To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,"
Hold a beer in the palm of your hand
And be glad it's happy hour.

Adapted from W. Blake "Auguries of Innocence"