10 Penny Ale

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

10 Penny Ale

Post by joemez »

Has anyone ever had this beer? It is from a small brewery in East Hartford CT. It is by far my favorite beer and I would like to replicate it. I am not savy as to how to do that so I was hoping somone here might have tasted it and be able to give me some ideas
thanks
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Give them a ring...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

If you call them and ask, they may tell you how the beer is made, particularly if you are out of their trading area. I sometimes get calls or e-mails about my brands and will share the information with homebrewers.

Eric
BryansBrew

Post by BryansBrew »

Hey Joe. I'm in tolland county and I love my 10 penny as well.
If you make any headway, please let me know as I've been meaning to clone that beer as well.

First, we know it's based on an old scottish recipe. My impression is that it has some non-barley grains- probably just wheat, but there's something else in there too- maybe it's a touch of rye.
I also get a slight spicy-citrus flavor. That could very well be from the hops, but maybe it is rye.

I also can't say that they're very consistant. I've had a pint at a restaurant and loved it, then a month later at the same place, it kinda tastes sub-par.
BryansBrew

Post by BryansBrew »

oh, and eric,
"Ten Penny" is a light Scottish style ale, brewed with a secret recipe developed by Brewmaster Ray Ballard. We can't give you the recipe, but we can tell you that the finest fresh barley malts have been combined with a hint of hops from the Pacific northwest to produce a unique and universally drinkable ale.
so it doesn't sound like they're going to give up the recipe.
This'll be a fun project
Bryan Peretto
Head Brewer
Grudlann na gCnoc Culpach