Favorite Octoberfest Receipt?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

youdaman10

Favorite Octoberfest Receipt?

Post by youdaman10 »

Anyone have a favority octoberfest receipt? There are so many to choose from on this site, I was hoping you could help me narrow it down a little. I have a lager fridge and will be brewing this for a Octoberfest party next year.
youdaman10

all grain

Post by youdaman10 »

just thought I'd add that I'm looking for an all grain receipt.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

As a matter of ... (all grain version)

Post by Azorean Brewer »

I am glad that you asked. I have an outstanding recipe. Search the recipe archives for "Azorean Brewer's Excellent Oktoberfest". It is one of the best I have ever had. I make this at least 2 times a year, One about June time frame, and lager it for 2-3 months and one in late August and lager that one until the first is gone LOL ... You will not regret this recipe, I promise. Actually if you simply search for recipes containing Azorean you'll see all of my recipes, and they are proven tried and true. I also highly recomment the Highland Gaelic ale clone ...

Here is the Oktoberfest recipe in a nut shell ...

Regards,

Paul.

6 lbs. German 2-row Pils
4 lbs. Munich Malt
2 lbs. German Vienna
1/4 lbs. Crystal Malt 120
youdaman10

Thank you

Post by youdaman10 »

Thank you very much. I'll try both receipts you mention.
Justin
Light Lager
Light Lager

question?

Post by Justin »

I know this is not my post but it souds good. I just have one question if one can not find German 2-row what would be a good replacement? Canadian 2-row? Also a substitute for American victory?
thanks,
justin
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Grain Substitutions

Post by BillyBock »

Justin:

What you're after with this type of base malt is the lighter color (1.5L-2L) and the lighter malt flavor. So if you can't find "German 2-row" then look for "Pilsner malt", "Lager malt", or "Pale malt"--use the color as your guide. "Pale Ale malt" is normally darker (3L-4L) and will intensify the malt flavor. However, in a pinch I've used this type in my German-style O-fests.

Whichever type you choose, make sure it's well-modified malt. Otherwise, you'll have to incorporate a protein rest in your mash. However, there's only one pale Czech malt that I know of that's purposefully under-modified, the majority of malts today are well-modified.

As far as Victory, you might be able to substitute Toasted malt. Victory will impart an orange hue and a malty/nutty flavor.

BTW, the yeast in the recipe (WLP820) is a big-time stinker! It'll throw out a bunch of sulfur odors (which is normal for lagers) and it also benefits from a diacetyl rest. My garage smelled like rotten eggs for 2 weeks :-)

Happy brewing!

v/r
Bill
Justin
Light Lager
Light Lager

thanks

Post by Justin »

Thanks for your help!
denverhoo

good advice--one other point

Post by denverhoo »

I've gotten good results w/ a Canadian 2-row, "Craftbrewer's" pale malt from Great Western Malting as my base, using a very similar recipe to the one you've been given. I've lost the specs but it's highly modified and I believe about 2.5L in color....so, last batch (10 gal) was 12 lbs of this, 6 lbs of light munich, 3 lbs of Vienna, 1 lb of caramunich and only an eighth of a pound of Crystal 120...in retrospect I wish I had added some victory...as to the victory, I might substitute some belgian biscuit if I couldn't find victory...or a much smaller quantity of special roast? (NOT Special B, two different things)
richanne
Light Lager
Light Lager

Pilsen malt

Post by richanne »

Would work in place of German 2-Row Pils