Un-hopped beer

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

manila_brewer

Un-hopped beer

Post by manila_brewer »

anyone try this?

corn heated to crystalline quality, flaked rice (equal amounts), mashed and sparged into slightly acidic (lemon) water. i used ordinary bread yeast and allowed fermentation for 2 weeks.

the first 6 inches was clear enough 'to drink' but it tasted dry after secondary fermentation with sugar water. the rest of the ferment had a haze.
--------
basically that. i want to make un-hopped beer using rice, corn and ordinary yeast, no hops. any suggestions? thanks.
BigEd

unhopped beer

Post by BigEd »

As hops have only been a common ingredient in beer for a few centuries unhopped beers have a long history. However, you are probably not getting much yeild to speak of out of your "mash". Mashing requires enzymes and unmalted corn and flaked rice have none. Adding some malted barley or separate enzyme content to the grains would certainly help.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Corn sugar

Post by fitz »

If you would use corn sugar, and rice syrup solids, you would get more alcohol, and less haze. I have to wonder if you are trying to duplicat a "hard lemonade" If so, you may want to start with a lemon wine recipe, and try to turn it into a wine cooler-like drink.
There are plenty of unhopped beer recipes in the world, some times they refer to the as a grog, or other name usually the are "hopped" with bitter herbs (sage, amaranth, etc.)instead of the normal lupine
manila_brewer

thanks for the reply.

Post by manila_brewer »

so i take it there's no way i can malt just corn and rice enough to make grog? my friend suggested i germinate the corn a little, then arrest this genrmination prior to crushing and malting.

i can't get any regular supply of barley (whether fresh or malted) here in the philippines.
manila_brewer

regarding the water,

Post by manila_brewer »

i was just following an english recipe. i'm using well water so i have to put in a little lemon to raise the pH.

but you gave me several ideas on alternatives to hops. thanks.
BigEd

malting is the key

Post by BigEd »

As long as you have malted the grain you should be all right.