Gelitan as a fining agent?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Justin
Light Lager
Light Lager

Gelitan as a fining agent?

Post by Justin »

I always have chill haze problems, I am about to use gelitan to try to solve it in this batch? mabey not a good idea I don't know. If I do use it should I use about 1/4 tsp mixed with 1/4 cup of water for 3 gal of beer?
does any one have any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Geletin is not the answer...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Justin;

Gelatin is a fining agent that has little effect on proteinacous hazes... it's use in beer is to sedimentate yeast. The best ways to eliminate chill haze are to 1) vorlauf (recirculate) your mash runnings until it is as clear as possible, 2) undertake a vigorous boil for at least 90 minutes, 3) chill wort exiting the kettle as fast as possible and to below 70 degrees F, 4) remove the newly fermenting beer from the cold break trub in your initial fermenter at the first signs of fermentation to a new, sanitized fermenter, 5) rack the beer immediately upon full attenuation and with as little yeast as possible to a glass carboy and then condition the beer cold (as close to 32 deg. F as possible) for 2~3 weeks. The cold conditioning will allow the haze to precipitate. An option at this stage would be to filter the beer (~4 microns or as low as 2 microns), but make sure it is as cold as possible. If this is required, you will know it because you will see the residual haze through the carboy while it is under refrigeration. Once the beer is bottled, allow it to carbonate, but then place it back in cold storage for 1~2 weeks. At this point any additional haze should settle out into the bottom of the bottle.

Eric
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Another

Post by fitz »

Depending on how bad the haze is, you may opt for an addition of Amylaze enzyme just prior to pitching the yeast. This is normally done in Pilsners, but if I am brewing a lighter beer, I normally use the enzyme. If your haze is pretty bad, you better stick with Eric's recommendations.