Adjunct?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Dano

Adjunct?

Post by Dano »

I haven't found a recipe yet that tells me when during a partial mash brewing I should add an adjunct. Flaked corn as an example - what to do?
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

What are you trying to make?

Post by Brewer2001 »

Dano,

You can add adjuncts to any brew that you make. Some will fit the style or brand better than others. I recently made an ale version of the old Schafer that I added rye to the grist. I also add a 'small' (small is the operative word) of wheat to most of my ales for better head retention.

When you add any adjuncts it is better to work them in slowly, a little in each batch until you get the right mix. You will not have a problem with a stuck mash but may get cloudy or hazy beers if you add too much.

Being that you are an extract brewer I would use syrups, flaked or torrified grain. I am looking through my textbooks to find the suggested amounts of each (not to exceed limits). You should calculate the ammount of adjunct as a percentage of your total grist (or in your case extract + specialty malt + adjuncts). I think the reason that most partial mash recipies do not include adjuncts is that most brewers at that level do not use them. Some older threads talked about mash to extract conversions, I do not recall what they were.

I will do some more reading and let you know.

FYI: Bud uses rice, Coors & Rolling Rock use corn, other majors use a mix.

Good brewing,

Tom F
Dano

Thanks brother

Post by Dano »

I didn't expect an answer that quickly. Thank you for the info. I am going to talk to the local brew shop and see what they have to say. Any info is good info.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Steeping or Partial Mashing?

Post by BillyBock »

The adjuncts go in the mash along with your base malt.

I think I should point out that alot of folks confuse "steeping" with "partial mashing" (aka mini-mashing)--they're not the same process. Although both involve soaking grains in hot water, steeping uses just coloring/flavoring malts that don't need to be mashed. A partial-mash, uses some portion of base malt and other malts/adjuncts, then supplements this wort with extract.

If you were to steep a starchy adjunct, without mashing them with a base malt for a source of enzymes, you will do nothing but add starch to your wort which isn't fermentable by brewers yeast (although it is fermentable by spoiling organisms).

If you're doing the steeping method, then your best bet is to use sugar/syrup as your adjunct, ie. rice solid syrup, corn syrup, etc., as these will be sugary and not starchy.

Hope this helps.

v/r
Bill