Another Mash Equipment Question

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Shaft42
Light Lager
Light Lager

Another Mash Equipment Question

Post by Shaft42 »

Ok, so I have been looking around and found a good price on a 10 gallon Gott cooler mash tun setup on homebrew.com. Is a 10 Gott cooler too large for 5 gallon batches? Will the grain bed be too shallow on normal gravity beers? What about 5 gallon partial mashes? I would like to go to10 gallon batches eventually, but not sure when. However, for the price it seems to make sense to purchase something that is expandable, if it will meet my current needs.
capper

Probably

Post by capper »

I use the Williams mash kit. The mash tun is a 6 gallon bucket. I have brewed 4 batches so far and find that the mash tun is large enough for all 5 gallon batches. However, my latest batch was one I invented myself. It was composed of 17 pounds of grains. My mash tun was at its limit.

So I would say that a 10 gallon cooler would be fine for 5 gallon batches. I don't think your grain bed would be to shallow at all.

I have never brewed 10 gallon batches but it would probably be fine unless you are brewing high gravity beers.

Hope I was able to help. Well, I am going to go have a homebrew.

Later,
Mike
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Some other thoughts..

Post by Brewer2001 »

In my homebrew setup I also use a six gallon bucket and most of my batches, with the exception of some pale low gravity ales take it to the limit. I would check all of your current recipies to determine your grain bill, gravity and mash volume. The buckets are less expensive than the cooler setup.

Here is the real up side of the cooler (and the down side of the bucket). In the design of an infusion mash tun is low and wide. This configuration is used for two reasons, the first is to have less hydraulic pressure on the mash bed and the second is to emprove efficency. If the mash is 'floated' ofer a larger area it will compact less and be less prown to 'sticking' during run-off. The efficency will also rise for a couple of reasons as well, the malt will come in contact with the brewing liquor which will allow more enzymatic action to take place and the cooler is insulated better than the bucket which will maintain your mash temperature more consistantly. This being the case your efficency may rise enough to allow your grain bill to decease. I have been told about breweries that purchased higher capacity equipment than they needed and were forced into producing larger batches then they could sell...oops.

I know that this hasn't really answered your question but it may help in your final decision. The cost of ether solution is relativly low. I made a similar one when I purchased my fermentors. I had to decide on 4bbl, 7bbl or 10 bbl. I bought 2 7 bbl tanks (a slightly larger $$$ investment). I plan to run brew two 3bbl batches into one tank...I hope my mash tun is large enough, it is speced for 3 bbl batches.

Good brewing,

Tom F.
Dr Strangebrew
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Mash Tun

Post by Dr Strangebrew »

I use a ten gallon igloo cooler as a mash tun. It works great. It holds heat really well. zymico.com has some products that may interest you??? I am not affiliated with the site in any way, aside from being a satisfied customer. I use the mash tun for 5 gallon batches hoping to switch to 10 gallon after I tweak some recipes. Anyhoo, I fired up ProMash hoping to determine what kind of room there is in a 10 gallon mash tun. It ESTIMATED a net 9 gallon mash volume for 25 pounds of grain and 28 quarts of water- a water to grain ratio of 1.12. Assuming a mash efficiency of 72% and a base malt with a s.g. potential of 1.038 pppg (point pounds per gallon) gives an O.G. of 1.062. Results may vary, according to your system. but I hope this gives a good baseline to get started.
Hope I helped.
Nate