CO2 in fridge?

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

BarleyMan
Light Lager
Light Lager

CO2 in fridge?

Post by BarleyMan »

Hey, maybe this is a bad question, but I'm assuming that if I'm not ready to tap out my refrigerator just yet to run my lines, it is okay to put the CO2 tank in there with the keg. Any problems with this, or am I a go?

Thanks guys!
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Go Ahead

Post by BillyBock »

Lots of folks do just that. Just remember that the lower temperatures will cause your gauge to read lower.

Brew on, Dude!
BarleyMan
Light Lager
Light Lager

increase pressure?

Post by BarleyMan »

Should I increase the pressure a bit to compensate for the lowered temp, or not worry about it?

And BB, I owe you for all the help. If you're ever passin' through Missouri, just let me know.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Clarification

Post by BillyBock »

Sorry, I was referring to the gauge for tank pressure. New and at room temp it may read 900 lbs, then put it in the fridge and you'll see the reading drop with the tank still full. Just wanted to point it out. When it happened to me I thought I had a leak--then I thought about it and the light clicked on. Oh yea! Low temp also means lower pressure. The gauge for the regulator isn't an issue. Just dial it in to what you're planning on using.

It may be a while before I pass through MO, but I'll let ya know. :-)
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I had the same problem

Post by Azorean Brewer »

In regards to the lower tank pressure.

Prior to putting my c02 bottle in the temperature controlled chest freezer I had 1000 PSI on the tank side regulator, once it cooled down to 45F the pressure dropped to 600 PSI in a matter of 24 hours. I took soapy water and checked all of the joints for leaks, found none, LOL ... Came here and posted a question in regards to the loss of pressure.

What I have discovered is because your c02 bottle contains LIQUID c02 it is denser at colder temperatures (lower pressure) and expands at warmer temp's (higher pressure).

The best way to gauge how much you have left is to subtract the "tare" weight stamped on the bottle from the bottle's actual weight,

Example: A full 5Lb. c02 bottle might weigh 12.4 pounds, the tare weight stamped on the side would be 7.4, hence 5 Lb. of c02.

I weighed mine after one year's usage and came up with 2.3 lbs still left in the bottle. I have probably filled and despensed 6-8 kegs in that time, so this stuff will last a while ... Good luck, and remember "No question here is stupid",

Cheers,

Paul.