1/2 Kit and Yeast

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

vennard

1/2 Kit and Yeast

Post by vennard »

for my first attempt I made a 2.5 gallon batch from a 5 gallon kit. I halved everything, but was curious about the yeast. Now I used a liquid yeast, and put about half in there. I dont even know if it was supposed to be active before I put it in the fermenter, but it looked like a clowdy mixture. Can anyone help me with this, so I make sure my batch comes out properly?

Thanks....
beerlover
Light Lager
Light Lager

Dump it all in!!

Post by beerlover »

I'm relatively new to the brewing scene. I'm just finished my sixth brew but I think the experts will tell you the same thing. Dump in the remainder, It can't possible hurt. Besides If you read the side of the Yeast, I think you'll find that it is for a 5 gal batch. Without it the entire thing, it may take a long time for the yeast cell count to build up or the yeast may possible stall before you reach the desired gravity (alcohol level). Again, I'm no expert but everything I've read, says the more yeast the better.
vennard

Follow-up

Post by vennard »

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I do have a followup on it as well. I used Wyeast liquid yeast, and followed the directions on the package. It said that the package shoudl expand to about an inch thick, after breaking the innner bag and shaking it up. Well I left it to work for like 30 mins and nothing happened. DO youknow if the yeast will still be active, and will work, or shoudl I get another package and try it again. I am going to dump the rest of the liquid yeast in there tonight when I get home, but i did nt see much activity in it yet. It hasnt been 24 hours though either...

Thanks for the info.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Wyeast Smack Packs

Post by BillyBock »

With Wyeast Smack Packs, the rule of the thumb was allow one day for every month beyond the production date to let it expand. So if your bag was dated January, it should expand within a day. If it was November, it should take 2 or 3 days to expand.

Also, are you sure you popped the inner bag? They can be a real PITA.
vennard

Smack Packs

Post by vennard »

there were 2 inner packets in there, and I didnt get one open. So I ripped it open after i saw that it didnt open. I let it sit for a while. I guess I didnt realize that it would take so long to incubate. So what do I do now, I put the whole package in the wort.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Don't Fret

Post by BillyBock »

Well....now you wait, quite honestly, and see what develops.

The pouch that you pop in the smack pack is just filled with a little wort--they're really small starters in a pouch. If you didn't pop the wort pouch and dumped the liquid yeast in your wort, it's no big deal really, they'll just grow in your wort. You may notice a bit of lag before you see airlock activity.