candi sugar???

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

brooklynbrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

candi sugar???

Post by brooklynbrew »

is dark candi sugar the same is dark brown sugar?? Sorry for all the questions cause it takes so long to brew this stuff so i dont wanna mess it up.
brooklynbrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

man ill never use that recipe again

Post by brooklynbrew »

I just kegged my first attempt at brewing with this new kit i got. Man did it smell horrible when i was putting it into the 5 liter mini kegs(which the instructions said to use but there was still like a half a gallon of beer left in the fermenter that i threw out. It had a horrible odor and there was alot of sediment on the bottom and floating around in it. I kegged it with the priming sigar and i will see how it comes out but i cant see it being good. The recipe was 1 lb of light DME. 1 oz of cascade hops, and yeast. in that 3.5 gallon bucket . and it said to fill to about an inch lower than the top. I have an octoberfest vienna logger bottled right now from my Mr.Beer kit that my girl bought me(this is what started my research off) Hopefully it will taste ok.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Candi sugar is

Post by fitz »

Candy sugar is a hard rock cany made with beet sugar. It comes in clear, light, and dark. Many belgian style recipes call for it.
If you are having trouble with formulating a recipe for this small of a batch, try a pound of light DME, a pound of amber DME 3/4 Oz of Fuggle for 60 minutes, and 1/4 oz of Willamette for 15 minutes. ferment with Nottingham dry yeast, and see how it turns out. The next batch reverse the hops, and you won't waste anything and you don't have to measure every time. If you want a lighter beer, try light DME, but you will need at least 2 pounds of DME for a 2.5 gallon batch you would need 3.3 pounds or liquid. These are starting points. Steeping grains will add much to your brew when you are ready.
richanne
Light Lager
Light Lager

instructions?

Post by richanne »

Fitz is right about the candi sugar, although I don't see it mentioned in your recipe. Did this recipe of yours include instructions, as to when to add the various ingredients? Sometimes wort smells bad early on and later turns out OK, so all hope may not be lost. With the Octoberfest Vienna lager, did you use table sugar, Booster (corn sugar) or malt extract?