Taste Concerns

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

BrunsBrew

Taste Concerns

Post by BrunsBrew »

Ive completed two batches of beer. My first batch was a dark amber beer and my second was just a regular american light. Both batches returned similar results. The both had a taste that was very distinct. Kind of a bitter and off taste that leaves the worst aftertaste. I dont know what my problem could be. Ive come up with some possible answers to my questions. I do use an aluminum pot to brew. Does that matter? And I also used Dry yeast. Does that matter? Any of your thoughts would be helpful.
maltvault
Light Lager
Light Lager

I had that also

Post by maltvault »

What you've got is an infected beer. To lick my problem I got a second glass carboy to use as a secondary. I use glass for primary, then rack into a sanitized glass secondary, and keg directly out of the secondary. I took out the step of putting the beer into the plastic bottling bucket. If you use sugar to prime with, as I do, place 1 tsp. in each bottle then fill. The sugar will disolve, do NOT shake the bottle as you will mix in air and infect your beer. I use bleach and water, 1 oz to 5 gal. water, for 20 minutes to sanitize. I hope this helps.
BrunsBrew

Still Confused

Post by BrunsBrew »

i do the same as you more or less. I use a plastic primary, and glass secondary. I sanitize thouroughly so i dont know whats wrong. Ill just keep on trying to get it right.
maltvault
Light Lager
Light Lager

Try

Post by maltvault »

Try making a basic beer, one you do not need to secondary. Do not use the plastic bucket, use the glass, bottle and see if it's infected. Your beer should taste like it does from the store, infected beer tastes like 'homebrew'. If it's aok that way, your bucket has bacteria living in some scratches or corner.
Steve1

Check Your Process

Post by Steve1 »

You have to be sure you are doing everything right. Are you boiling your wort for a full hour? Are you sanitizing everything your cooled wort comes into contact with? Are you overdoing the hops? Perhaps you are using a hopped kit, they can often leave a harsh bitter aftertaste. If it's a bitter taste, I suspect the latter. Most "spoiled" or infected beers will have a sour or other off taste. I would also try leaving your beers sit to age for awhile. This will often allow some of those bitter hop flavors to blend a bit. I often do this with my IPA's. Be sure you are paying careful attention to your process though.

Good Luck
bsmntbrewr

Hang in there

Post by bsmntbrewr »

Don't get down because your first two batches had an "after taste". Infection is possible but you seem fairly confident about you sanatizing. A previous poster suggested a little aging, I would second that.

He also had a point about hopped kits and maybe cutting down on your own hop additions. I'd like to add you should try to use extract and hops that are as fresh as possible.

I use both glass and plastic, both work fine for me. With plastic, if you have a valve on it you may want to take it off for a good clean and soak.

In the future it really helps alot if you include the recipe and your techniques. Some brewer out there might catch something your doing or using right off the bat.

I saw an article on this web site about 10 tips, check them out and try again. Good luck.
Okami
Light Lager
Light Lager

It's all about taste

Post by Okami »

Good taste is why we all homebrew beer instead of
buying it at the store. I started homebrewing
because I had a buddy in college that made some
good beer and I was jealous. He keeps me motivated
when I get discouraged or want to try something new.
I have to agree with another reply to your post
that posting your recipe might help an experienced
brewer spot something that is causing the unpleasant
aftertaste. My last batch of Pale ale has an
aftertaste I am not happy with too. (see my post
on "Revised Pale Ale") Like you I am very confident
with my sanitation techniques. I wasn't, but I
bought a HUGE plastic tub that I can soak all of
my equipment in. I opted for a change in recipe
to try and correct my problem. I will post the
results. Keep us posted on what you attempt and
how it comes out.
I am rather new to homebrewing too. I have completed
two batches and have my 3rd in the secondary.
I am reading and researching more about beer than
I did about ancient philosophers in college.
Is that love or what :)
Don't give up!
jimshep

Jimshep

Post by jimshep »

I had a problem like yours until I lost the aluminum brewpot and switched to stainless steel. It really made a difference!
Stay on top of the sanitation, keep it simple and don't give up. I've suprised myself with the good taste of my home brewed beer.
good luck.
yooper
Light Lager
Light Lager

Me too

Post by yooper »

I have the same problem. I've been brewing for about a year and I feel I'm making progess in finding a solution.

I wasn't sure about my sanitation. The last batch I brewed started is still in the secondary.
Here is what I did. I bought a new glass carboy. I sanitized for 24 hours in a solution ob bleach water for 24 hours and then before I added the 3 gallons of cool water I rinsed it completely with hot water and let it drain completely. I then added the cool water. I also sanitized all my equipment prior to it coming in contacting with the wort.

I boiled my ingredients for 1 hour. 6 pounds of gold malt extract with .75 pounds of Maple syrup with 1 pound of crystal malt. I added 1 ounce of cascade hop pellets 20 minutes into the boil. I added 1 ounce of saaz hops 50 minutes into the boil. I then added the hot wort into the cool water and waited for the temperature to reach around 100 degrees farenheit. I added the yeast and fermentation started within a few hours.

I believe the problem lies in a combination of a few things. It lies in the sanitation. I plan on soaking all of my equipment in a bleach solution for at least a couple of hours prior to brewing. Also when I strained the wort I used a standard stainless steel strainer. I believe to much of the hops remained in the wort during fermentation and may have created a much more bitter flavor than desired. I plan on using a much finer screen next time. I also plan on using a blow off hose to let the krausen natually remove itself from the fermenting brew. After initial fermentation is complete I will then rack it into the secondary glass carboy.

These are a combination of steps I have taken and plan on taking. If any of these sound wrong to anyone please let me know. I hope you find the solution to this problem. If you do please let me know. It can be frustration I know.

Good luck.
yooper