Strong Alcohol Taste

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Emerican

Strong Alcohol Taste

Post by Emerican »

I recently made a batch with rye and wheat in it for the first time. The beer however tastes like hard liquor. The batch is only 3 weeks old and i just bottled it, but i had to taste. Is this a sign of contamination or is it just too early too tell.
xbrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

probably not

Post by xbrewer »

It doesn't sound like it's necessarily a sign of contamination to me. My gut feeling is that you need to adjust the relative quantaties of your ingredients next time. Maybe less wheat and rye and more barley malt.
Emerican

Good

Post by Emerican »

Well, thats a good sign. I think it may be the hops that I was tasting since I didn't use too much wheat and rye. Thanks.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Give 'er time

Post by jayhawk »

I would give the beer some more conditioning time. Three weeks is a bit early to tell. I like using rye and wheat too, especially rye. Did you use rye malt or flaked rye?

Chris
Emerican

yup

Post by Emerican »

Time is on my side.
I used some flaked rye, seemed to work good the last time I used it. It was just the first time that I had gone with the wheat, figured it might add some sweatness to it.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Ferment Temperature?

Post by BillyBock »

What was your fermentation temperature? Higher temps (ie. more than 75F) are usually to blame for this.