Dry hopping in kegs

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Dry hopping in kegs

Post by jayhawk »

Ok folks. Kegging is going just fine, but I am wondering about techniques for adding dryhops to the keg without clogging the tube or getting little hop pellets suprises in the mug. I currently have a couple ounces of cascade pellets I want to throw in for dry hops. Suggestions??

Chris
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Fine Mesh Bag

Post by BillyBock »

I haven't dry-hopped yet in my kegs. I was thinking about using one of the fine mesh bags, tied shut, with the strings secured in place by the lid so it's suspended from the top of the keg.

Bill
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Two things

Post by fitz »

One, I know the pantyhose pilsner was a fiasco that turned out well, but the hose makes a great hop bag. It is much finer mesh, and you can tie it shut easily.
Two, watch how you "attach" it to the top of the keg. Those O rings are finiky, and it may be a problem for sealing if you extend the string out of the lid for it to be held.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Bare hops to the beer...

Post by jayhawk »

Couldn't one just let the hop sack float freely in the keg? Why bother tying it to the top? Is it because the hop sack could get logdged in the tube? If I want to get the beer off the hops I could just transfer the beer out to another keg. Any problems envisioned here? (besides the fact that I would need an empty keg, which sounds like a good excuse for a keg party, but like anyone actually needs an excuse for one of those anyway)
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Contact Time

Post by BillyBock »

I think the issue is how long of a contact time do you want? If you suspend it, then it'll be in contact for as long as you want until you lower the level below the bag. Otherwise, if it floats it'll be constantly in contact and it may give more character than you want.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Good point

Post by jayhawk »

Yeah, you're right. I suppose that once the hops are in the bag then any clogging issues are eliminated, and it does come down to contact time. Thanks for the input.
fatso the wombat

dry hopping-well not so dry!!

Post by fatso the wombat »

I have not tried this in the keg yet,but do this in my secondry. I brought a metre of curtain net (aus$6.00) and cut sqares out as required,the girl in the shop said 'pinking' scissors would not leave frayed edges but i only have straights.
cut a large enough piece for the hops free movement inside,turn frayed edges in on themselves and tie with fishing line ,measure to the middle/cenntre of the keg and tie an inert weight to the other end( i use flattend copper tube),biol for 1 minute in 1ltr then with salad tongs grab the hop bag ,tip the tea in and then drop the hops in making sure the line is not tangled.
This has worked well in my APA's with the bag not floating on the surface i dont loose aroma to atmosphere,and wieghting in the bag that sinks the bottom would be covered by settlement.
cheers, Fatso
sphbeer

Stainless steel tea bags

Post by sphbeer »

I have had good success with dry hopping in a keg using fresh hops and a stainless steel tea bag. just don't use too many hops or elect to use more than one tea bag. I boil the ss tea bag before puttint the hops inside, then just let it loose in the keg
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Great idea

Post by jayhawk »

You are a genius! I was not looking forward to trying to sterilize pieces of nylon/cloth etc. Awesome!!!