Why, why, why?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

Why, why, why?

Post by bigdosgood »

Nov. 25, 2003
Earth's Water Supply Threatened As Yet Another Watered-Down, Low-Carb Beer Hits Market

Vancouver-- Labatt Breweries is releasing a beer that it claims will deliver the taste of a light ale, but provide less than half of the carbohydrates.

"This is our early holiday gift to beer drinkers," said Nigel Miller, a spokesman for Labatt Breweries of Canada. "We're launching Labatt Sterling to appeal to the growing number of people who are looking for a beer that fits their lifestyle."

The lifestyle that Miller speaks of is the growing number of Canadians who are adopting new methods of controlling weight gain, such as the popular Atkins diet, the Zone diet or the Sugar Busters diet.

Read the full story at The Vancouver Sun

Nov. 21, 2003
New Low-Carb Beer: Coors "Really" Light

AP, Golden Colorado-- Coors Brewing Co. said Wednesday it will launch a low-carbohydrate beer brand in 10 states on March 1, in an effort to grab a larger share of the expanding market for beers that appeal to people on low-carb diets.

Coors, the maker of the popular Coors Light brand, plans to launch its Aspen Edge beer nationwide by year's end, helped by television, billboard, radio and print advertisements, the company said.

Aspen Edge will compete with Anheuser-Busch Cos.' Michelob Ultra.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Ewwwww

Post by BillyBock »

Life begins at 60, 1.060 that is.
bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

Very True!

Post by bigdosgood »

Anything less than that is water!
Dr Strangebrew
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

I wonder...

Post by Dr Strangebrew »

I wonder if these people that are drinking these super light 'beers' are the same kind of people that go to burger king and get a whopper with a DIET coke. It is not the beer that makes you fat so much as the cheese nips, peanuts, cheetos, pringles, nachos, potato chips, dips, pizza, cheeseburgers, french fries, and branschwagger that you eat with the beer that makes one fat.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Low carb bunk

Post by jayhawk »

If people still want their piss water, let them have it....we can hold our bellies and laugh laugh laugh...hahaahahaaaha! Homebrew!!!!!!!
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Give it all up ... but BEER ! ! !

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Jayhawk said it best ... BUNK ... give up your potatoes, give up your bread,, give up your pasta, give up your rice, give up your cakes and deserts ... BUT GIVE UP YOUR HOMEBREW WHEN THEY PRY IT FROM YOUR COLD DEAD FINGERS ...

Merry Christmas all ... BREWERS rule the world, if you don't believe me think back to Christmas past when your friends tasted your home brew for the first time, and think of Christmas Future when you use all of those cool gadgets your honey has given you under the Christmas tree to advance your brewing techniques ... Ah Life is good when you are friends with yeast.

If only they knew what we knew ? ? ? somethings are better left up to the MASTERS !!!

March on Brewing soldiers, we have a cause to deliver.

AZ...
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Mmmmmm....beer!

Post by BillyBock »

Hey, Paul: Speaking of full bodied beer and Xmas, my latest lager invention is in the fermenter--a dark, winter-spiced, dunkelweizenbock. I'll let you know my first impressions when it comes out of the conical in about a week. Do you want the recipe?
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

BillyBock

Post by fitz »

In a word, Yes.
I tried the Atkins diet before, if it wasn't for Homebrew, I probably would have killed over. The problem with this is that most people swear off all carbohydrates. Since beer has carbs, they swear it off too. Atkins didn't want you to get rid of all of them, just the unnecessary ones. So bread, potatoes, and pasta was gone, but my beer and some vegetables stayed.
bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

A New Diet Idea!

Post by bigdosgood »

Ok, we have all been run over by these fad diets, why don't we start a new one? The Beer Diet! One needs protien and something solid, so meat and beer, nothing else!
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Just about what I did

Post by fitz »

That is just about what I did with my version of the atkins diet. I through in some green beans occasionally, but I still didn't have very much energy with it. Especially since I was building a house in the middle of it.
bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

Did it work?

Post by bigdosgood »

I eat very little, but drink a lot of beer and yes, I have my own built in keg to show for it! I honestly believe that the key is excersize, I have been a power-lifter all of my life and due to an injury and work, my training went to heck over the last year and I got a gut! I am back in the gym pretty regular now, so maybe it will go away.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yes

Post by fitz »

I did work while I was on it, I lost some of the weight I wanted to, and I have been maintaining. I go to the gym before I go to work in the morning. 5:30am, I get a 1 1/2 hour workout, and then go to work. It works good for me.
bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thats the way to do it!

Post by bigdosgood »

I blew out my back because of a defective shoe! Sounds crazy, but you know the ones with air bubbles in the sole? Yeah, I had almost 600lbs on my back doing squats when the shoe had a blo out! It yanked me sideways and strained my back. Since then I have had to train very light and that kind of made me say to heck with it. Now that I have a gut, I have been getting serious again and my back fels great too. I hope that rst helped it heal.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

No squats for me anymore

Post by fitz »

I don't do squats anymore. Bad Knees, and a hard time getting pants turned me off of squats. Leg extentions, leg curls, calf extensions and The "butterfly like machines are what I do weight traing on my legs. Exercise bike and treadmill complete the work out. Upperbody is another story.
bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

Its all about whatever works!

Post by bigdosgood »

I can relate to the pants issue. I have had some extremely large legs all my life. At one time, I had to buy like 44 waist pants and have a tailor cut the waist down to a 32! Shirts the same way. I was a pretty big dude at one time, now I just have a big ber gut. I plan on changing that though!