new gadget from Honeywell

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

new gadget from Honeywell

Post by bredmakr »

I have recently completed a fermenterator in my garage. living in a cold climate it required a temp control for heat. I was holding out on completing the project until I could afford an analog temp controller and space heater. then I found a new space heater from honeywell for $40 at HomeDepot. this thing rocks. digital present temperature, internal thermistat with +/- 2 degree control range. last weekend it was in the 20's Friday and Saturday night and when I check the fermenterator Saturday and Sunday morning it was at 68F exactly where I had set the controls. I also verified the temp with an independent thermometer. I highly recommend this product.
Pale Rider

Specs & Model #?

Post by Pale Rider »

Can you post the rough dimensions of your fermenterator, as well as the Honeywell model number? I've not been thrilled with the heating capabilities of those thermal blankets in my chest freezer, but I've seen all sorts of Honeywell space heaters, some of which do not seem suitable for a small enclosed space like this. TIA!
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

48 ft3 fermenterator with space heater

Post by bredmakr »

Pale Rider,
I am currently in the process of moving. I will get the model number of the space heater to you shortly. In case I forget it is a small oscillating space heater with digital thermistat controls 1500 and 750 watt power settings. I use mine at the 750 watt level and it works great.

The fermenterator dimensions are roughly 2 ft wide by 3 feet high by 8 feet long. Total volume is 48 ft3. It easily holds four 6.5 gal carboys. It also comfortably holds a black lab and a three year old boy from time to time when not in use for fermentation. My son thinks it is the best hiding spot ever. I built it below an elevated work bench area in the garage so it looks like a shoe box. On top I store clean carboys and kegs.

The base is made from 2x6s to provide enough space for r19 insulation below the floor of the unit. The top is 2x4s with r19 squished in there. the sides all have 1.5 inch foam board insulation. the interior and exterior sides and interior top are then covered with 1/2 inch sheet rock. the floor is 3/4 inch particle board with plastic carpet protector as a protective barrier for blow ups.

Hope this is enough to go by for now.
Mike
Pale Rider

Thanks!

Post by Pale Rider »

Mike: This is very helpful Your space is about twice as big as my chest freezer that I use for fermenting, but I'm looking forward to the Honeywell model info. Is it one of their ceramic oscillating units? And do you use it standalone right now, or is it plugged into a controller? If it's a reliable as you suggest, it might be better to plug it into the wall, and not use with it my relay.
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

yes, ceramic oscillating

Post by bredmakr »

it is one of the small oscillating ceramic heaters. it has a digital thermistat with +/-2 degree variance. I have had significant improvement in my fermentations by controlling the environment inside the fermenterator with this unit. I just plug it straight into the wall, set the temp at 69F and it holds the entire space between 67 and 71F. Good luck!
Pale Rider

Anything like this?

Post by Pale Rider »

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

almost

Post by bredmakr »

here it is on homedepot.com
Internet ID 164146
Brand Honeywell
Thermostat Yes
UPC CODE 092926341237
Wattage 1500

it has a digital display.
Pale Rider

Thanks; this looks the same

Post by Pale Rider »

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... 523%3A4863

Surprisingly more expensive at Wal-Mart.

And my local Wal-Mart & Home Depot are right next to each other. Thanks!