High FG! Help! Can't loose this beer!

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

zeno
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

High FG! Help! Can't loose this beer!

Post by zeno »

October fest was made just how fitz suggested I go about it. 6lbs Wiliams German Gold, 3lbs Dry Amber, 1 lb CaraMunic II, haletaeu *sp* hopps..

OG == No clue.. I broke the hydrometer..
FG == 1.022

What do I do now? Add more yeast? Nothing?
bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

How long has it fermented?

Post by bigdosgood »

That is a bit of a high FG, did it ferment and then get stuck? What kind of yeast did you use? You can add more yeast, that won't hurt anything for sure.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Don't freak

Post by jayhawk »

When did you brew this batch? Are there any signs of fermentation (ie bubbles on surface or in the beer)? Since there is still fermentable stuff in the beer, you can always throw a pack of dry yeast in there with a little yeast nutrient to get the job done. But first tell us the state of the ferment and how long it has been since you brewed this batch. Oh yeah, what temp environment do you have the fermenter in and are you using ale or lager yeast?
zeno
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

1.5 weeks

Post by zeno »

I brewed it on the 26th of october. It should have had a very high OG, and I assume it has fermented quite a bit more than I had origonally thought (the fermentation was not very active).

I used the wrong yeast in the first place. I used 1338 European Ale yeast. A full-bodied yeast as opposed to a clean yeast like I had thought I was using.

I brew in an appartment, so I stick the fermenter in the corner under a little tent I made to keep it dark, and I keep the thermistate at 70. For most of the process, it was cold here, and when I use the heat, I turn it down to 67. So 67-70ish.

Due to temp contraints I always make ales.

Do I aerate it again before adding yeast?
zeno
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Yup

Post by zeno »

It definately fermented some. You can taste it. All the info is in the reply to jayhawk. Thank you both for helping me so quickly! I hate the thought of loosing my most expensive beer so far, especially when it's for a house warming next month.
vtterror
Light Lager
Light Lager

Well...

Post by vtterror »

If you brewed a 5 gallon batch, then according to the beer analysis tool, you should have had an OG of around 1.074. According to Wyeast specs, their 1338 has an apparent attenuation of 67 - 71%
(60 - 72 degrees F). If one uses the median attenuation value, 69%, then the expected FG would be at or around 1.022...hmmm...sound familiar? Sounds like 1338 performed as expected. You could pitch a bit of dry yeast, perhaps DCL Safbrew S-33. I would NOT aerate. Once beer has fermented (and this has despite the higher than desired FG) it doesn't do to add oxygen to beer. If you've ever tasted the flavor of wet cardboard in an oxidized beer, you'd not hurry to replicate it in your own homebrew. Good luck.

Theresa
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Octoberfest beers

Post by fitz »

Octoberfest beers are dark, rich, and malty. They tend to have a high terminal gravity. Sorry, I didn't know you had this "problem" or I would have replied sooner. German gold, has some unfermentables in it, and the amber malt, has more, as well as the Cara(also an amber) I like this type of beer, because it has a nice carmel finish, and good mouth feel. .022 sounds fine to me. This is no pale ale. Double check to make sure their has been no more drop in the gravity, and bottle. How did the sample taste?
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I end up at .018 to .020

Post by Freon12 »

I'm with Fitz on this(nice recipe).

I always end up high on Fest beers using lager yeasts, it just takes longer for me to get there.
I bet this will be a good malty beer!

Steve
zeno
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Quite good

Post by zeno »

It was quite a tasty little sample actually. I'll drop it in the keg tonight, then. Thanks to all for the help!
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Idea

Post by jayhawk »

Wow, I have never had a beer with an FG over .012. Guess I should try one out. What about this though (I'm looking for feedback on this idea). I suggest leaving the brew another week, seeing as it has only been 1.5 weeks in the fermenter. I am just concerned that fermentation may not be fully finished and that the addition of priming sugar could lead to overcarbonation and/or exploding bottles if this batch was bottled now. But then again, I could just be out to lunch on this because I have never dealt with a brew with an FG this high. What do you all think?
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Never mind

Post by jayhawk »

Oops, didn't realize this was a keg batch. No problem there then. Good day.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I don't know, ummmm

Post by Freon12 »

I'm gonna have to examine that beer. Sent it over in the keg and I'll make sure it's O.K.
I would want you to serve a beer before it's time you know. After all, this is a free service I am offering here.

Steve