Grimbergen Dubbel

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

rodcindy

Grimbergen Dubbel

Post by rodcindy »

I have a friend who has asked me to attempt to clone Grimbergen Dubbel. Does anyone know where I can mail order a bottle of this to harvets the yeast? Also, any one know of any clone recipes for this?

Thanks.

Rod
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Grimbergen Dubbel - conditioned with lager yeast!...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Grimbergen Dubbel, an Abbey Style Ale, is produced by the Belgian commercial brewer Alken-Maes, a subsidiary of Kronenbourg (France) which is now owned by Interbrew of Belgium.

I like this beer, but after comparison with many other Dubbels, I have decided it is one of the lightest examples, but still to style. It is fermented with a yeast strain that is very similar to Wyeast's Trappist II strain. The bad news is that you can't snag it from the bottle ! When you can find bottle conditioned examples of the brew (the 750ml bottles I have had were all bottle conditioned, but some of the "stubbies" I've had were obviously filtered) the yeast that was used to ferment it has been filtered out. The filtered beer is then gyled and a lager yeast is added to produce the carbonation. This practice is actually quite common in Belgium because of the desire of the producers to retain their unique yeast strains for their own exclusive use. And... using lager yeast for conditioning makes good technical sense due to their tendancy to flocculate in a dense layer that remains in the bottle better upon pouring as well as better conditioning at a wider range of temperatures.

As far as a recipy, I have a reference some where on how the make it.... I have to get back to you when I find it.

Eric
rodcindy

Thanks

Post by rodcindy »

Thanks for the info. Definetly interested in the recipe, too.

Rod