looking good

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

looking good

Post by joemez »

For those interested in how i'm making out... I got my kettle and burner all set and on a stand with my counterflow chiller all set up.
I made a batch last night(portor) and everything went extremely well. I did a full 5 gal boil and my chiller brought it down to 68deg. Nice! The only problem I had was, I think I didnt stir it enough while it was coming to a boil cause when it did start to boil I notice black stuff coming to the surface of the foam. Looked like charred stuff. After I drained the kettle I noticed it was charred in the center of the kettle. Do youy guys think that will adversely effect the taste?
Also as of this morning (10 hours later) there has been no activity from the airlock. What is a normal startup for you guys?
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Burnt

Post by KBrau »

If you were brewing an extract batch and you scorched some of the extract you may have a noticiable difference in taste. I guess it will depend on how much was burnt though. I wouldn't worry about it because you may have just developed a new way to brew porters!! Anyway I think that in a porter the taste difference would be negligable as compared to a pilsner or some other less malty brew. As for a lag time for your yeast, it depends on how much you pitched. Did you use liquid yeast and if so what quantity. I have had lag times that ranged from 3 hours to 24 hours with little to no affect on the beer. I think on average it is about 8-10 hours for me. Of course shorter lag times are usually better because they stave off rapid bacterial growth. I hope this was helpful.

Rich
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Smoked porter

Post by jayhawk »

I have burned a mash before, but never a boil. I was adding heat to my kettle that I was mashing in and starting seeing smoke coming up through the mash. Anyway, the porter tasted smoky which I wasn't really after but it wasn't terrible. I would think that if you scorched your boil then you will probably have some burnt/smoky flavours. It should still taste fine though. Smoked beer is a style itself.
joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

its going now

Post by joemez »

It was bubbling when I got home yesterday.
I use a dry yeast.
Thanks for the info guys. Looking forward to my smoked porter! yummy
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Brewing Nectar of the Gods

Post by BillyBock »

Hey Joe. Your post reminded me of your previous post concerning off flavors and such. How's your fermentation temp this time?
joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

temp

Post by joemez »

I've got my chiller running @64deg. Its not hot anymore so I dont have to change the ice very often which is really nice.