Aluminium?

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Aluminium?

Post by Fraoch »

Any reason why i couldn't use aluminium for a mash tun? I used to use it as a kettle but noticed a metallic taste so went to s.steel./ i need to build a new mash tun and it has to be metal due to the design. If i could use this it would save me$$$$$'s and give me a large capacity, so i want to use it if poss. What d'ya reckon????
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

You can use it... but here are some thoughts...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Aluminum vessels are prone to leaching by acidic solutions. This is why they DEFINITELY should not be used in boiling wort, which has a low pH (acid !). Now in mash tuns... the pH starts out about neutral, neither base nor acid, but as the mash progresses it becomes more toward the acidic side. The lower temperature of a mash vs. a boil helps reduce leaching as does the acid solution's contact time... so, you may be able to get by with it ok, but it may vary from recipy to recipy via grain bill as well as via water treatment or lack thereof. I'd say try and see, but if you can later get an SS mash vessel, it is preferable. I started out mashing in an oven using a 6 gallon aluminum pot, but it was pro-grade and highly annealed (not much less cost than a good SS, but I had it already), which is a greatly different surface treatment from the typically available pot and I never experienced problems.

Let me know how it comes out !

Eric
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

good on ya

Post by Fraoch »

I had 2 days left to get a reply and hoped you would be the one that answered, (depassivation of brass?). The pot was bought when i first started mashing from a pro catering supplier. it wasnt cheap but cheaper than s. steel. Thanks for the reply, after the weekend i'll own a 7 gal electrically heat compensated mash tun, accurate to keep constant temp at 0.1c. Cant wait to get started!!