question for Billybock about Star San + PBW

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

question for Billybock about Star San + PBW

Post by joemez »

The stuff I ordered finally came in. I ordered directly from 5-Star not knowing I could have gotten it quicker from most home brew suppliers (and cheaper too). Oh well... Anyway, I noticed that they offered a kit which had measured amounts of PBW and Star San along with a "quick reference card" and some sort of book which goes into detail about the principles of sanitizing (something which I need help with). Have you seen any of these or know where maybe I might be able to find it online for download? I sent them an E-Mail but no response.
Also a few questions on how you use the stuff. To clean, do you fill the whole vessel with the PBW mixture to soake it or do you put a few gallons in and slosh it around? What is the mix you use? And with Star San you said you put a gallon in and slosh it so that it has contact for 2 minutes. Does that mean that you shake the vessal for 2 minutes?
Sorry for being kinda obsessive about this but I need to get this right.
Thanks in advance
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Answers

Post by BillyBock »

I remember that little booklet that came with the Star San. I'm not sure when you can get it, and I don't seem to have it. As I recall, it's main message was that you can't sanitize something that's not clean first. Additionally, it mentioned you could mix one packet of PBW in as little as 2 gallons of water for cleaning really heavy, caked-on grunge. Five gallons is the max for one 2 oz. packet though.

I use PBW at the start of the brew day. I mix it with very hot tap water. Pour it in one of my vessels, and pump it around to do its cleaning for 15-30 minutes. The part that I'm really diligent to clean is the path from the kettle to fermenter, there's a pump and a counterflow chiller in there. After the PBW has soaked, I rinse everything well with very hot tap water.

As for Star San, with my system, I pump it through the counterflow about 15 minutes prior to the end of the boil. Then I drain it out, hook up everything, and start pumping. Incidentally, I do toss out the first quart out of the chiller.

You could fill your vessels completely with Star San. Make sure you have a way to hang on to it when you drain it from the vessel--because it keeps for a very long time. Since the foam also sanitizes, there's no need to do so. So if you're using a carboy put in a gallon (less or more is up to you, one was just a nice round number), and slosh it around. Make sure to get the foam/liquid in contact with all surfaces. You don't need to slosh for 2 minutes, but the foam/liquid needs to be in contact with the surface for that time. Then just drain it out. Note that if you rack the Star San, it'll cut down on foaming. Otherwise if it glugs out, you'll have Star San Mousse in the carboy. At any rate, the foam won't affect your beer or you. Having said that, I'll normally invert a carboy in a bucket and let it drip drain while I do something else. Oh and don't forget to put some Star San in a spray bottle...that way you can spot sanitize things during the brew day.

Don't worry about obessiveness....sanitiation will make or break you in this hobby in my opinion. I've suffered at least one known infected batch before switching to Star San. In the 2 years I've been brewing outside, no infections. Hey, the last thing we want is for you to have to BUY your beer :-)

v/r
Bill

"Lite beer is for people that like to pee a lot"
joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

one more for ya

Post by joemez »

wow! that has to be the quickest response on record! Thanks
The PBW i got is just a one pound container(not seperated) do you know how many tablespoons of it equals 2 oz? Also, how long do you keep it? Can I store it to use multiple times?
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Hmmmmm

Post by BillyBock »

That's a good question, and I don't have anymore to check. How about going down to Walmart, or the like, and you should be able to pick up an inexpensive scale for around $5.

I don't think it'll keep long once mixed, especially once it removes grunge--perfect food for beasties. As long as it's dry it should keep a long time. And, just like Oxyclean, you don't want to mix this stuff up and store in a sealed container. It releases oxygen and then you'll blow the lid on your bucket.

v/r
Bill
joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

oh yeah

Post by joemez »

i feel stupid! I'll weigh it out on a scale, of course.
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I got everything I need. Gonna clean and sanitize my keg with it and transfer. Hopefully I was thorou enough with the other stuff I used on the carboys and such.
Thanks for all your help. It is greatly appreciated. It's nice to know there is somewhere to go to ask when I have problems.
Oh yeah, does anyone know of any clubs or whatever in CT? I would love to stand in on an all grain brewing session.