Fementarion rates

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

waynorth

Fementarion rates

Post by waynorth »

I'm a new brewer (one batch 6 years ago) and I'm diving right in and have two batches in primary fermentation right now. The first is an ESB from dry extract kit with Wyeast 1968. This batch didn't make a noise for almost 30 hours until I shook it up some more. Now it's bubbling away at a rate of once every 3 seconds for the last 4 days. The second batch is an IPA, again dry extract kit but with a dry ale yeast (don't know specific). I rehydrated and added yeast to a pint of wort 24 hours before I boiled. This batch is bubbling like crazy after less than 12 hours. OG on the ESB was 1.045, I forgot to take the IPA (late night boil) but should be 1.05 area. My question is ... are the different fermenting rates associated with the beer/yeast or my methods. I'm worried the ESB won't completely ferment after seeing the IPA take off with such vigor. Also, I've been reading more on the Wyeast and have seen mentions of shaking more or racking more or the trub into the secondary because of it's flocculation. Any first hand info to help me worry less? Thanks.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

a couple of things

Post by fitz »

Since they are different yeasts, they will act differently. I have not used Wyeast 1968 so I cannot comment if this is normal. You stated that you used a starter for the dry yeast, but didn't mention one for the wyeast. Most liquid yeasts will respond better with a starter, but your beer is fermenting. another thing is the fermentation vessel. If it is a plastic pail, the lack of co2 in the airlock may be from the Co2 escaping from the seal. The ESB may take longer, but be sure to use a hydrometer and check for a couple day to see if the ferment has stopped before bottling.
waynorth

Thanks

Post by waynorth »

So as long as it is fermenting, it may take longer but will be alright? I'm planning on putting both beers into secondaries (dry hopping the IPA ... interested on what this will do). What I've read is to put them in secondary when bubbling slows to 1 per minute. The IPA is in a plastice pail, drilled with grommet for the air lock; the ESB is in a plastic primary with 6 inch top opening, o-ring seal and built in air lock.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Watch out

Post by fitz »

Watch out for the one with the "built in" airlock.
Make sure you only use the lower O.G. worts in this one when making brew. Since it is a built in, if the fermentation was very rapid, you could get some overflow into the airlock. That at best would be messy, at worst could involve bad beer, and cleaning up the floor, ceiling and everything in between. I do not know of this setup, but it may have something to do with your lagging ferment. Did you aerate the worts before adding the yeast or starter? Aeration helps get the yeast procreating and thus the ferment goes quicker.