Temperature Control

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

wouldy
Light Lager
Light Lager

Temperature Control

Post by wouldy »

I have recently moved to a new apartment with a basement, but have come to find out it's not a constant temperature. I have had trouble controling the temp on my beers and feel this is the last thing I must conquer before brewing good beer.

What are the pro's doing to control the temp? I was wondering if it will be necessary to buy a fridge to get a constant temp(a used dorm fridge if i can find one)?

thanks,
Rusti
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Quick Easy, and Cheap

Post by fitz »

If you need a quick fix, and don't want to spend a bunch, get a tub of water, immerse your carboy into it, and drape towels over it into the water. The water will help keep a constant temp, and the towels will help the top and bottom to be the same temp.
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

I also use a heating element

Post by bredmakr »

Rusti,

I have used this same method with much success. You can even take it a step further and buy a submersible aquarium heating element (~$20) for even more control in the colder months. I use an old cooler, but anything that will hold the carboy and allow a water level at or above the wort level will do.

Enjoy!

Mike
joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

fermentation chiller

Post by joemez »

I recently made a chiller that I found online. Its pretty simple to make, small, light weight and only cost me about $70 total. You just have to replace ice jugs every day or so. I followed the directions exactly and it worked out great.
http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/chiller/chiller.html