Doing first true lager...diacetyl rest question

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

rarefungus

Doing first true lager...diacetyl rest question

Post by rarefungus »

I am 5 days into the fermentation of a Bohemian pilsener. Fermentation temp. is 50F in a plastic bucket. I am planning on racking to a glass carboy (and using a stick-on aquarium style thermometer) for lagering, but wish to do a 1 day diacetyl rest at 60F. With my beer in the plastic I can not easily monitor the temp. without removing the airlock and sticking in the thermometer (I fear contamination).

To do a dicetyl rest, from what I understand, I am relying on the yeast to absorb the offending flavors. If I rack to the secondary before doing the diacetyl rest, will there be enough active yeast in the beer to be effective?

Should I leave my beer in the plastic for the diacetyl rest and risk infection, or should I rack to the secondary to easily monitor temp, but risk a low yeast count?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-bill.
Raydownunder
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

It relates to the yeast you are using

Post by Raydownunder »

G'Day
The diacetyl rest needs to be done if you are having a diacetyl problem. If you don't have this problem don't worry. When the fermentation is complete rack it to your secondry and lager the beer for 3 weeks or so. Then bottle, keg and enjoy.

What I do for a diacetly rest is bring the beer to room temperature (say 20C) and leave for 2 days to complete fermentation. You can take a reading and when its 1.020 or below then do the rest. It will not spoil the lager.

Cheers
Ray Mills