1 Gallon test batches

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Kilerclown
Light Lager
Light Lager

1 Gallon test batches

Post by Kilerclown »

Im thinking of doing several one gallon test batches for new recipies so if they are bad Im not stuck trying to suck down two cases of bad beer....been there done that...my question is this. How much yeast do I use for only a gallon of beer? I realize that if I put in too little then there would be a longer lag time but the yeast would come around in time. Perhaps I should just use dry yeast for the tests. While the flavor would be off a bit it would give a good idea of the recipies worth. Then the question becomes how much dry yeast for a gallon. Actually it will be two gallon jugs with a half gallon in each.

Another question is how much corn sugar or DME would I be using to prime? Ive experienced the exploding bottles routine and am still finding bits of glass in my basement 2 years later.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Dry Yeast

Post by fitz »

Dry Yeast packets will tell you a packet is for 1 gallon up to 5 gallons of wort. If you use a packet in each batch, it won't be too much. Actually the more yeast you use, the quicker it will ferment, and the less off flavors you'll have. If you are going dry yeast and worrying about off flavors use Nottingham or Safe ale S33.
They are some of the "cleaner" Dry Ale yeasts.

If you are going to do a liquid make a stater, make your batches at the same time, and put the starter in in equal amounts.

I personnaly have never met a "bad beer" Some are just a lot more enjoyable than others :~)
dalew

Dry Yeast and Primetabs

Post by dalew »

I've done a couple of one gallon batches, a single packet of dried yeast worked just fine. I also tried the tablespoon of sugar in each bottle priming method and got wildly differing results. Primetabs seems like an easier and safer option. I've never used them, but am planning to in a one gallon test batch I'm going to brew
StranegBrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

Prime Tabs Stink

Post by StranegBrew »

Sorry just couldn't help but comment about the usage of prime tabs. The first and last time that i ever used the stupid things, i ended up with very much varied results. Most of my beer was about flat after all was said and done, one major headache to uncap, fix, and recap 5 gal of beer. If you only have a gallon of beer than i think you would be better off adding about (24 grams - 1oz) of boiled corn sugar and proceding as you normally would. Just my 2cents.
Kilerclown
Light Lager
Light Lager

sugar in the bottle equals "kaboom!!!"

Post by Kilerclown »

Id have to agree with strangebrew...I tried the sugar in the bottle once and will never do it again. Nothing like hearing explosions comming from the basement in the middle of the night. Scarred the hell out of me. Im going to split the batch half and half into two gallon jugs for primary and rack both to a single jug for the secondary and then will prime and bottle...will probably use the 1 oz suggestion. If its flat then more the next time.
nyquil

1 gallon batches

Post by nyquil »

I feel as though I am going to be berated, but best to take a verbal beating now. Following same idea of a small test batch, in this case 2 gallon. The type of beer being made is a Lambic, and well, is this beer usually a slow fermenting beer by nature or by chance did everything happen so fast due to it being a small batch?

The wort is now in its 2nd week and I have not seen much bubbling. When I did the primary w/o the raspberries I saw the fermentation process run its course, felt pleased and confident. Now that I have added the raspberries, I have seen hardly anything. I am pushing a higher temperature, 77F to 78F, I understand that speeds up the process, but even so, the first stage was easily detected at the same temperature.

Guess that all that I am looking for is
1) reassurance that I didn't foul up,
2) if I did foul up, should I just dump and start again or is there a way to ressurect what is there?

Thank you