Hop Growing in Southern California

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

mnollar

Hop Growing in Southern California

Post by mnollar »

I know the next growing season is a long way off, but I would like to start growing my own hops. I live in Southern California where temperatures reach 100-110F in July and August. Is this too hot? I'm looking into growing Cascade and Perle, but I've heard that the Perle might be hard to grow due to it being native to Germany. Is there another type of hops that is similar to Perle if I find it doesn't grow?

Thanks,
Mike
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

All hopped up!

Post by fitz »

www.freshops.com
This site both sells rhisomes(spelling) and provides information for hops. you can probably get some good info there. I know you can grow hops where the weather gets warm, production sites are normally where it is cooler though. I think one of the regulars here are growing them in Texas though.
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

So Cal...?

Post by Push Eject »

Where are you, MNollar?

Sven and I are in the Antelope Valley.

Charlie
mnollar

So Cal...?

Post by mnollar »

I live in Redlands. You guys ever attempt to grow hops up there in the high desert?
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Sven?

Post by Push Eject »

Sven did a couple of years ago and I believe they were doing well until his dog ate them. Cascade & Fuggles, I think, but he'll have to confirm.

We're about an hour Northwest of you -- we should get together and brew one of these days.

olliethemadbrewer@essersnet.com