Any issues with a Phil Mill

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

mnollar

Any issues with a Phil Mill

Post by mnollar »

I'm thinking of purchasing a Phil Mill, but I haven't lookied into the other alternatives in the same price range. What are the pros and cons of this mill? Are there any mills that are better or same quality for less money? I don't want to break the bank, but I still want to be able to mill my own grain. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
brakspears
Light Lager
Light Lager

Phil Mill, pros and cons

Post by brakspears »

Bought mine ages ago, well made, but if you use the manual drive system, ie turn it by arm, milling any decent amount of grain will take several minutes, and to mount it on a bench and drive it with a power drill is not that simple as I've found this past few weeks, the grain "crush" can be set from fine to course, but I did find the knurled roller became clogged, and the crushing wasn't so effective, I now have a 11 litre bottle for the grain, where the normal bottle would be a softdrink 2 litre type, this made a difference to the time taken to complete the operation, all in all a good well made piece of kit, which may have been "improved" since I got mine, might pay to have a look at others before leaping into this, regards Nigel.