Rice flaked vs rice syrup

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Paul

Rice flaked vs rice syrup

Post by Paul »

My receipe calls for 2 lbs rice flaked. I could not obtain rice flaked, but was able to get rice syrup. How much rice syrup should I use to equal 2 lbs of flaked rice?
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Depends on the efficiency you calculated...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

When converting a recipy that uses flaked product to extract, you need to use the efficiency calculation used in the mash. Ie.. if you expected to gain 72% of the fermentable sugars per pound from the rice flakes, you have factor in that you would gain 100% of fermentable sugars from the rice syrup less the volume of water in the syrup. If you can get the fermentable extract per pound of syrup, this should make the calculation easy. Simply factor the # of flaked rice X 72% (or whatever efficiency you used) and compare it to the extract per pound of syrup to answer your question. I know this doesn't appear as easy as most would like, but this is how it is done. If you can give me: 1) the # of flaked rice in the mash and the mashing efficency you typically use and 2) the extract per pound of the liquid rice extract you plan on using, I can nail it for you. Otherwise you will have to guess.

Eric