So what do you think about the color prediction here?

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

So what do you think about the color prediction here?

Post by jeff »

Color is probably the most difficult characteristic to predict about beer. How has the color prediction using the Recipe Calculator compared to the real results with your recipes? Any feedback is appreciated, as it will help refine the tools at the site. Thanks.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

On the lighter side..

Post by Fraoch »

Sorry Jeff, but i have tended to use the colour prediction as a very rough guide only,I dont know about others but i find my beers are always a lot darker than predicted.The calculator will give a prediction of the beer being out of style, due to being too light,( say a stout) but the finished product is well within the range required.I would like to stress though that this is the only discrepancy i have with the calculator.

thanks,

Gavin
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

As you said

Post by fitz »

Well Jeff as you said, color is very hard to determine. Size of the brew pot, and temp boiled, etc. all have a factor on how dark the beer will be, and I have achieved color changes on the same beer with the same recipe due to change of pots, or higher/lower temp boils. As Gavin said, I only use it as a rough guide, but the rest of the calculator is great. My main concern with the beer is the taste anyway.