Bavarian Helles

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Bavarian Helles

Post by Freon12 »

I am going to compile in my most recent down time, a beertools recipe for Helles.
I would like everyones input as to the choice of hops, Grains, amounts and any other related tricks to come up with a good representation of the style here in the hard water U.S.A.

Steve
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Water & Hops

Post by fitz »

Steve,
Your water doesn't have to be hard. I just bought a softener that doesn't use the salt. It uses Greensand(Magnesium) to trap the ions that make your water hard.
As for the hops to use, use the best noble german hops you can find. The fresher the better. After all, Helles is their "Pale Ale" It is supposed to show off their best hops.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hops

Post by Freon12 »

I was leaning toward Hersbrucker for all additions, possibly Tettenger for 1 st addition.

Tell me more about the greensand softner.
Brand name?
Will it reduce permanent hardness? How does it clean itself? What is your incoming and outgoing PH?

Steve "The curious"
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I'll get the specs

Post by fitz »

I'll get you the specs. It is a Magnesium greensand softener. It back flushes to cleans the system and to recharge the greensand. I also bought a seperate 5 stage filter, and reverse osmosis system to handle the drinking and beer water, but I am told this is overkill. I figure the purer the better, if I need stuff back in, I can add this to the beer. I'll get back with you later.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Good Haufbrau Helles Recipe

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Steve,

Greetings, I learned to brew from a master brewer from Germany, he gave me his recipe, it is an excellent example of a true Helles (he called it the working man's brew). Search for my recipe under "Haufbrau Helles". This is a proven recipe, no experimenting needed here :-), good complex brew without complex ingredients or instructions.

Also I finally got my Marzen/Oktoberfest racked and bottled this past Sunday. Recipe name is "Autumn in Bavaria", your flip top bottle should be finding it's way home full in a week or so OK?

Good luck,

Paul.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

You da man.

Post by Freon12 »

Just wait, I'll get new water soon.

Bye the bye, How's that wood shop?

S.